Melbourne Police Department Welcomes Newest Officers, Committed to Hiring Only the Best
By Space Coast Daily // November 15, 2018
Chief David Gillespie welcomed the newest members
BREVARD COUNTY • MELBOURNE, FLORIDA – Melbourne Police Chief David Gillespie welcomed the newest members of MPD including Ofc. Roger Aleong, Ofc. Joseph Aiani, Ofc. Charles DiNapoli, Ofc. Evan Jones, Ofc. Roger Mason, Ofc. Skyler Philbin and Ofc. Andrew Samuels.
The Melbourne Police Department is committed to hiring only the best and is actively seeking individuals who want a challenging career in a professional environment. Please contact Ofc. Brent Kleeberg at Recruiter@mlbfl.org or 321-608-6321 for more information.
Veterans Preference Organization
The Department is an “Approved for Veteran’s Training” agency. This means that probationary police officers who are qualifying veterans and were Florida LEO certified after January 11, 2007, may be eligible for additional monthly benefits. The “Montgomery GI Bill” supports this on-the-job training benefit. For more information, visit www.gibill.va.gov, or call 888-442-4551.
Salary: The Melbourne Police Department offers a salary competitive with other local law enforcement agencies. The current starting salary for Patrol Officers is $39,230 per year with a top salary range of approximately $60,000.
Sergeants earn up to $68,989, and Lieutenants earn up to $82,292. The city also provides a 4 percent shift differential pay for officers assigned to evening and midnight shifts as well as incentive pay for specialty teams.
Certified law enforcement officers from any state may be eligible for a higher starting pay based on your level of experience. Qualified candidates may be eligible for a hiring incentive bonus to help with relocation to Brevard County! Please call our Recruiter for the great details: Ofc. Brent Kleeberg: Recruiter@mlbfl.org or 321-608-6321.
The Department provides several lateral transfer opportunities within in the agency. These include:
- School Resource Officer
- Community Resource Officer
- Tactical Team
- Special Operations Unit, and
- Selective Traffic Enforcement Unit.
Other ancillary functions are also available, such as:
- Dive Rescue Team,
- Crisis Negotiation Unit, and
- Honor Guard.
- A pension fund that allows officers to retire at 75 percent of their salary after completing 25 years of service. An additional benefit is a five year DROP program.
- A pre-tax Deferred Compensation program to assist you in saving and planning for retirement.
- A tuition reimbursement plan for continuing college education.
- Choice of Health First Health plans for the employee and dependents as well as Healthways Prime Fitness, which provides access to 8,500 gym locations.
- 9 Paid Holidays
- Vacation Accrual beginning at 104 hours and up to 200 hours annually
- 96 hours paid annual sick leave
- Optional dental insurance plan
- Up to 120 hours per year of comp time accrual
- Take Home Cars
- Department-Issued Weapons
CLICK HERE FOR BREVARD COUNTY NEWS