Port Canaveral Commission Candidate Maurice Boudreau: The Real Environmental Port Candidate
By Maurice Boudreau, Democrat for Canaveral Port Authority, District 5 // November 4, 2018
CANDIDATE FOR CANAVERAL PORT AUTHORITY
By Maurice Boudreau, Democrat for Canaveral Port Authority, District 5
Central Brevard residents have gotten to know me as the East Merritt Island Home Owners Association President and during my tenure, I have fought for the community on several occasions.
One issue, in particular, was the “Rail through North Merritt Island” controversy that was instigated by the Port Commission back in 2015.
The Port Commissioners paid to have a study done to determine the cost and feasibility of a cargo train that would run across the Banana River and up through the Savannah’s area.
This is prime lagoon and estuary water that would have been further damaged by the addition of a cargo train. Myself, and many others, fought hard to kill that plan and we were successful. Had we not, it would have been an environmental disaster.
Another environmental issue was related to the purchase of more than nine acres adjacent to Jetty Park. This property added waterfront to the park and a natural entranceway.
The Brevard County Commission’s asking price was the same price they had paid for the property 20 years ago. The Port Commissioners believed the property should be given to them for free since they had been able to lease it from the county for a dollar a year for the last 20 years.
A breakdown in negotiations almost resulted in the property being sold to developers which would have surely built multi-story condos on it. By keeping the public informed on the property, I was able to encourage others to speak out too about the purchase and once again we convinced the Port Commissioners to do the right thing by buying the land.
I am running for the Canaveral Port Authority to be your voice. This property used to be the “People’s Port” and its number one priority should be to return the public’s opinion to a place of high regard.
To do this I need the help of your vote, regardless of party affiliation.
As Port Commissioner I will:
• Return the Port to Fiscal Responsibility by working to pay down the debt and eliminating waste.
• Establish a Policy for tenants to extend their leases or exit the Port financially whole.
• Use Parking Garages to build shops and restaurants on the top floors when feasible.
• Push for more evening meetings so the public can be easily involved.
• Help the Indian River Lagoon Conservation Campus and Aquarium build a world-class facility at no cost to the Port.
• Create a more aesthetically pleasing entrance to the Port for residents and guests.
• Sell off assets that are under-performing or not returning on the Port’s investment.
• Create a more responsible Port so that their neighbors are not negatively impacted.
• Create a better funded and better working relationship with Keep Brevard Beautiful.
My Endorsements Include:
I have seen firsthand Maurice’s passion, dedication to, and involvement at the Port. He has demonstrated a genuine desire to facilitate a better relationship between the Port and our tenants and the community. Maurice has been involved in the politics and Port Commission activities for many years.
He is a leader in the community, championing the community effort to stop the cargo train and keep Jetty Park the way it is today. Without people like Maurice, the Port will not remain the “People’s Port.” He shares my passion to do the right thing for the Port, the tenants, and the people of the Port community. Please vote for Maurice Boudreau.
– Bob Harvey, Retired Colonel, USAF, Canaveral Port Authority Commissioner, District 4
I am a registered Republican, but I am asking my fellow Republicans to set party aside and vote for the candidate who has best represented the interests of our community regarding Port functions and issues and who will continue to do so, Maurice Boudreau.
– Seb Perin, Past President, EMIHOA
I believe in supporting the people you know and If you live in Merritt Island, you certainly know Maurice. As a community leader and Port Canaveral neighbor, Maurice makes it a priority to understand the Port and its influence on the community.
– Glenn Willis, Business Owner and Republican
Political advertisement paid for and approved by Maurice Boudreau, Democrat for Canaveral Port Authority, District 5
CLICK HERE FOR BREVARD COUNTY NEWS