AAA: Holiday Plunge at Pump Continues, Drivers Paying Less Than Two Dollars per Gallon
By AAA // December 29, 2018
Thursday's average price of $2.20 per gallon lowest since July 2017
AAA– The plunge at the pump continues this week, and now gas prices are poised to have their lowest start to the New Year since January 1, 2016.
Americans are finding gas prices below $2 a gallon at 31% of filling stations in the United States. Since mid-October, the national average has plummeted a total of 61 cents.
Thursday’s average price of $2.29 per gallon is the lowest since July 2017.
“Falling gas prices continue to be ‘the gift that keeps giving’ this holiday season,” said Mark Jenkins, spokesman, AAA – The Auto Club Group.
“Prices at the pump declined as AAA projected last week, largely due to weakness in the stock market and concerns about global crude oversupply.”
“Although oil and gasoline futures have been on a rollercoaster ride this week, wholesale gas prices have held steady. Unless oil prices suddenly spike, prices at the pump should remain low through the end of the year.”
Drivers are finding gas prices below $2 a gallon at about 7 percent of gas stations in Florida. Since mid-October, the state average has plummeted a total of 62 cents.
Thursday’s average price of $2.20 per gallon is the lowest daily average price since July 2017.
Gas prices in Florida dropped 6 cents in the past week. The state average is now 23 cents less than this time last year. Some of the lowest prices in the state are in Central Florida and Tampa Bay.
- 74 percent of Florida gas stations have fuel below $2.25/g
- 7 percent of Florida retailers have gasoline below $2/g
- The highest daily state average price in 2018 was $2.92/g on May 25
- Florida drivers paid an average price of $2.65 per gallon in 2018
|New Year’s Day
Gas Price History
Holiday Gas Prices at 3-year Lows
Nationwide, holiday travelers enjoyed the lowest Christmas Day gas prices in two years. However, gas prices in Florida averaged the lowest for Christmas Day in 3 years ($2.21/g).
The state average on New Year’s Day should also be a 3-year low. Thursday’s average price is 25 cents less than January 1, 2018.
Click here to view AAA’s state and metro gas price averages
- Most expensive gas price averages: Panama City ($2.55), Miami ($2.40), West Palm Beach-Boca Raton ($2.36)
- Least expensive gas price averages: The Villages ($2.06), Punta Gorda ($2.08), Orlando ($2.08)
Gas Price Tools
- GasPrices.AAA.com – Daily national, state, and metro gas price averages
- AAA Mobile app – Free app that compares gas prices near you
- Gas Cost Calculator – Determine how much gasoline will cost on your next road trip
CURRENT AND PAST PRICE AVERAGES
|Thursday||Wednesday||Week Ago||Month Ago||One Year Ago||2018 High||Record High|
|Click here to view current gasoline price averages|
CLICK HERE FOR BREVARD COUNTY NEWS