SPACE COAST DAILY TV: ‘Surfing Santas’ Hit Cocoa Beach Christmas Eve Morning With Thousands Looking On
By Space Coast Daily // December 24, 2018
SPACE COAST DAILY TV SPECIAL PRESENTATION
SPACE COAST DAILY TV: On the Town’s Alan Zlotorzynski and Gina Liberto are were live Christmas Eve morning in Cocoa Beach as hundreds of Santas descended on Cocoa Beach in one of Brevard County’s greatest traditions.
BREVARD COUNTY • COCOA BEACH, FLORIDA – On the Town’s Alan Zlotorzynski and Gina Liberto are were live Christmas Eve morning in Cocoa Beach as hundreds of Santas descended on Cocoa Beach in one of Brevard County’s greatest traditions.
What started out as a small, family day in Cocoa Beach has turned into a global phenomenon.
People from all over congregate on Christmas Eve in Cocoa Beach to celebrate the holidays with Santa, friends and family. Whether you surf or you’re looking to join in the holiday spirit, there’s no other beach having this much fun on Christmas Eve!
Surfing Santas Cocoa Beach is an annual Cocoa Beach tradition that brings hundreds of surfers of all ages dressed up as Santa. The costumes are as diverse as the people that wear them. Watch them ride in on the waves and kick off your holiday beachside at this free event that benefits local, charitable causes.
‘Surfing Santas’ Founder Inducted into 2018 Class of Space Coast Sports Hall of Fame
SPACE COAST DAILY TV: The Phenomenon known as “Surfing Santas” drew more than 800 surfers and 10,000 spectators to Cocoa Beach on Christmas Eve 2017 – along with the attention of millions worldwide.
In November of 2009, surfer George Trosset happened upon a Honda car ad depicting surfers wearing Santa Claus suits. Trosset loved the idea and enlisted the help of his wife, Nihla, to help him fashion a suit that from 20 feet or so would look like a Santa outfit.
For Trosset’s efforts to promote the sport of surfing, and the beautiful beaches of Brevard County to the entire world, he was inducted into the Space Coast Sports Hall of Fame in May 2018.
HERE ARE SOME ‘SURFING SANTAS HIGHLIGHTS:
– On December 24, 2009, George Trosset went surfing dressed as Santa with his son and daughter-in-law dressed as Elves. The media published a picture on the front page of the Christmas Day newspaper. George’s friends saw the picture and inquired about joining him the following year.
– On December 24, 2010, 19 Surfing Santas participated. The following year, more people wanted to join the fun at Surfing Santas.
– On December 24, 2011, 84 Surfing Santas joined George in the water with a few hundred spectators watching from the shore. A local skydiving enthusiast, Chuck Jullian, contacted us shortly after and asked if he and a few of his sky diving friends could land on the beach dressed in Santa Suits the following year. What a great opportunity!
– On December 24, 2012, 159 Surfing Santas and six Sky Surfing Santas participated with hundreds watching from the shores. It was a perfect blue sky and sunny 75 degree, Florida day. By now the news media had joined us for this unique fun day. In addition to Florida Today and the Orlando Sentinel coverage, we had TV coverage from Fox News, Channel 13 News, ABC and NBC. This coverage added to the crowds for 2013.
– On December 24, 2013, 210 Surfing Santas and close to 1,000 spectators joined in on the fun. By this point, the event had grown so big, we had to find a new location. When we approached the city of Cocoa Beach about moving the event downtown, we were received with open arms.
– On December 24, 2014, 300 Surfing Santas, 18 Sky Surfing Santas and over 4,000 spectators participated. Our friends at Fat Kahuna Restaurant served up an all you can eat pancake breakfast and donated the proceeds to the event. Local artist, Keith Coffman, donated the event T-shirt design. The Secrets of Cocoa Beach gift shop, Coconuts on the Beach and Surfinista Cafe all sold our event T-shirts, which benefited Grind for Life and The Florida Surf Museum.
– On December 24, 2016, 600 Surfing Santas and 8,000+ Spectators made their way to Cocoa Beach for some holiday fun in the sun!
CLICK HERE FOR BREVARD COUNTY NEWS