Governor Ron DeSantis Issues Executive Order To End Common Core
By Space Coast Daily // February 1, 2019
TALLAHASSEE, FLORIDA – Governor Ron DeSantis issued Executive Order 19-32, outlining a path for Florida to improve its education system by eliminating Common Core and paving the way for Florida students to receive a world-class education to prepare them for jobs of the future.
“I have heard parents from across the state loud and clear and they all agree that it is time to finally end Common Core,” said Governor DeSantis.
“So today (Thursday), we are taking action through this executive order to ensure that Florida has the best academic standards in the nation and eliminating Common Core from our schools, as well as reaffirming my commitment to prepare our students for the real world through an increased focus on civic education.”
Executive Order 19-32 directs Florida Department of Education Commissioner Richard Corcoran to comprehensively review the academic standards for Florida’s Kindergarten through grade twelve students and provide recommended revisions to Governor DeSantis.
The recommendations shall:
– Articulate how Florida will eliminate Common Core (Florida Standards) and ensure we return to the basics of reading, writing and arithmetic;
– Provide a roadmap to make Florida’s standards number one in the nation;
– Reflect Florida Department of Education Commissioner Richard Corcoran’s consultation with relevant stakeholders to include parents and teachers;
– Deem how to increase the quality of instructional curriculum;
– Suggest innovative ways to streamline testing;
– Identify opportunities to equip high school graduates with sufficient knowledge of America’s civics, particularly the principles reflected in the United States Constitution, so as to be capable of discharging the responsibilities associated with American citizenship; and
– Outline a pathway for Florida to be the most literate state in the nation.
CLICK HERE FOR BREVARD COUNTY NEWS