Brevard’s Unemployment Rate 3.5 Percent in February, Added 9,900 Private-Sector Jobs Year-Over-Year
By Space Coast Daily // March 24, 2019
Space Coast business spotlight
BREVARD COUNTY, FLORIDA – Brevard County’s unemployment rate was reported at 3.5 percent in February, compared to 3.9 percent year-over-year, according to statistics released by the State of Florida.
Also in February, the Space Coast area added more than 9,900 new private-sector jobs year-over-year.
Statewide, Florida’s labor force continued to grow with 170,000 people entering the labor force at an annual growth rate of 1.7 percent, up 0.2 percent from January 2019.
Also in the past year, 206,300 new private-sector jobs were created in Florida overall and 24,300 private-sector jobs were created in February. Florida’s unemployment rate is at a low 3.5 percent.
“Florida’s economy is working,” said Governor Ron DeSantis.
“We have to continue this success by keeping taxes low and regulations limited, supporting policy to make Florida the best state for career and technical education, and making important investments in the environment and Florida’s infrastructure.”
Florida’s annual private-sector job growth rate of 2.7 percent continues to outpace the national job growth rate of 1.9 percent.
“Florida’s continued private-sector job growth supports Governor DeSantis’ vision for our state,” said Executive Director of the Florida Department of Economic Opportunity Ken Lawson.
“Our shared commitment to ensuring all Floridians have opportunity, which includes helping communities recover from hurricanes, is encouraging businesses across the country to start, expand and move to Florida. Our agency stands ready to assist all Floridians in succeeding and achieving their economic goals.”
Other positive economic indicators include:
- Private-sector industries gaining the most jobs over-the-year were:
- Professional and business services with 50,600 new jobs;
- Education and health services with 40,700 new jobs;
- Trade, transportation and utilities with 32,000 new jobs;
- Leisure and hospitality with 27,800 new jobs;
- Construction with 22,400 new jobs; and
- Financial activities with 18,300 new jobs.
- Florida job postings showed 285,076 openings in February 2019.
- Consumer Sentiment Index is 100.9 in February 2019.
CLICK HERE FOR BREVARD COUNTY NEWS