Two Juveniles Arrested For Armed Robbery In Palm Bay, Suspects Meet Victim Through Social Media
By Space Coast Daily // March 7, 2019
Robbery occurred Sunday near Norman St. and Vienna St.
BREVARD COUNTY • PALM BAY, FLORIDA – Palm Bay Police have arrested two juveniles after they robbed a man earlier this week near the intersection of Norman St. and Vienna St. NE.
Police say the male victim had arranged to sell his iPhone through the social media site ‘Offer Up.’
However, when he went to meet the potential buyer the suspects pulled out a weapon, snatched his iPhone and ran away.
“We have seen an increase in these types of crimes with the popularity of social media commerce sites but using a Safe Exchange Zone can add an extra level of safety during these transaction,” said Commander Resh.
Palm Bay Police remind citizens there are two locations in Palm Bay to serve as a “Safe Exchange Zone” for residents to utilize for child custody, private property and e-commerce transactions.
Residents can make exchanges in the two provided spaces:
• Palm Bay Police Station – located at 130 Malabar Rd SE
• Police Sub-Station – located at 1575 Main St. NE.
The location in front of the buildings have many video surveillance camera on at all times.
Here are a few safety tips to keep in mind when conducting such transactions:
– Only do transactions with local buyers/sellers
– Make sure a friend or family member is aware of the meet up details
– Insist on meeting in a public area like our safe zone
– Do not go into someone else’s house, and do not allow them into yours
– Complete the transaction during daylight hours
– Be extra cautious when buying or selling valuable items such as vehicles and jewelry
– Trust your instincts, if it sounds like a scam it probably is
– If somebody is not willing to come to the police department to do a transaction it is probably not a legitimate transaction
CLICK HERE FOR BREVARD COUNTY NEWS