BREVARD HISTORY: Brevard County Courthouse Was Often Moved, Current Structure Built In 1912
By Space Coast Daily // July 8, 2019
county seat moved to Titusville In 1879
BREVARD COUNTY, FLORIDA – Brevard County once encompassed parts of Brevard, Indian River, St. Lucie, Martin, Palm Beach, Broward, Okeechobee, Osceola, Orange and Volusia Counties.
The courthouse was often moved, depending on the strength of various political factions. From 1875 to 1878 the courthouse stood at Lake View in Osceola County until it burned to the ground.
In 1879, the county seat moved to Titusville where a two-story wood-en courthouse, 20 feet by 40 feet, was built by Peter Fisher and Andrew Froscher on land donated by Henry T. Titus.
Built in 1912, the present structure at 506 Palm Street replaced the old wooden courthouse.
Early courthouse designs were influenced by the architecture and political ideals of Thomas Jefferson, who relied heavily on Greek and Roman precedents.
This tradition is evident in the neoclassical Greek style, made of poured concrete by Lightman, McDonald & Company for a cost of $31,477.
The courthouse has undergone two extensive renovations since 1912.
In 1925, in the midst of Titusville’s first boom period, three large wings were added at a cost of $80,000 to provide office space.
Three large flat roof additions were added on the sides and the rear façade, the front entrance doors replaced, and modern replacement windows installed. Another boom happened when Cape Canaveral was chosen as the location for America’s Space Program.
The staggering growth that accompanied this program prompted the construction of a second building. It is connected to the original court-house using a covered walkway. Today the old courthouse continues to be used for court business.
– Source: Brevard County Historical Society
CLICK HERE FOR BREVARD COUNTY NEWS