Merritt Island’s Marco Dawson Finishes U.S. Senior Open With Top 50 Finish
By Space Coast Daily // July 1, 2019
Space Coast Sports Hall of Famer
ABOVE VIDEO: The culmination of Marco Dawson’s golf career came on the final day of the 2015 Senior Open Championship played at the Sunningdale Golf Club in England. He shot an almost perfect back nine of 31 and finished 16 under for the tournament to defeat PGA legends Bernard Langer and Colin Montgomerie to win the 2015 Senior British Open. (Video aired in 2016)
BREVARD COUNTY, FLORIDA – Merritt Island resident Marco Dawson finished the 2019 U.S. Senior Open with a top 50 finish on Sunday in South Bend, Indiana.
Dawson finished the tournament tied for 47th place with a 74 on the final day and four shots (+4) above par for the weekend.
Steve Stricker won the Open after shooting a magnificent 19 shots under par (-19) for the weekend.
Dawson, 55, was named to the Space Coast Sports Hall of Fame in 2016.
In his spare time, he enjoys spending time with his wife Heather and his two children.
“Heather didn’t know a thing about golf when we got married,” Dawson said. “For the first 10 years while I was on the PGA Tour she walked every hole on every course to offer her love and support.”
Heather now spends her time with their two children and sells real estate in Brevard County.
“She has two tough jobs and with me being away a lot, it’s not easy but she is the best at what she does and I owe her a lot,” said Dawson.
Interesting Facts About Marco Dawson
- Took up golf at age 9 after his family moved to Coral Springs, Fla., and lived adjacent to a course.
- Enjoys listening to classical, world and instrumental music.
- Would love to try Navy Seals training one day.
- Favorite athlete is Muhammad Ali.
- First job was a range picker using a VW Bettle.
- First concert he attended was The Cars.
- Most memorable shot was hitting a left-handed 6-iron (upside down) from 120 yards to 10 feet from the pin.
- Member of the TOUR from 1991 through 1997.
CLICK HERE FOR BREVARD COUNTY NEWS