Top Five Adventure Sports to Try in Kerala
By Space Coast Daily // July 5, 2019
a land with unmatched natural beauty
When one mentions Kerala, one gets visions of lush green forests, coffee, and spices plantations along with magnificent beaches and backwaters.
While most tourists are aware of the scenic beauty of the majestic mountains and the blue-green waters of the Arabian Sea, what they don’t realize is that it also creates the perfect setting for adventure activities and sports.
Today, there is a growing segment of adventure enthusiasts who come here looking for adrenaline-driven activities.
Kerala, a land with unmatched natural beauty is fast ranking high when it comes to engaging experiences of adventure like paragliding, water sports, climbing biking, and many more.
Here are the top adventure sports to try in Kerala:
1. Cycling & biking in the greenery of Kerala – Enjoy a cycling & biking experience just about anywhere in the lovely atmosphere of Kerala. Winter is the right time to plan your cycling & biking trips, and Idukki is one of the best spots to enjoy the adventures.
One can bike through the paddy fields, the coffee plantations, dairy farms, the spice plantations and enjoy the beauty of nature. Those trips will take you close to nature, and nothing is better than exploring Kerala on a bike or cycling tour.
You will come across sprawling plantations, sandalwood forests and meandering historical lanes. Some of the best tours can be enjoyed from Chalakudy to Valparai, Kottayam to Vagamon, Devikulam to Munnar and Alappuzha to Changanassery.
2. Paragliding to soar high above the valleys– Another exciting adventure that awaits you in Kerala is paragliding. Get a bird’s eye view from above, and the Vagamon and Varkala are the handpicked destinations for paragliding in Kerala. If you are looking for a unique experience in paragliding, you are sure to find it here.
Do not miss the chance to soar over the meadows, grasslands, and forests. There are many more spots for paragliding in Kerala with different adventurous opportunities. Every adventure-seeker who loves paragliding is sure to enjoy a great experience in Kerala.
3. Watersports and rafting for an adrenaline rush – Kerala is fast becoming a popular destination for watersports in India. As the state enjoys a long coastline, the adventure junkies can try out different watersports like diving, canoeing, snorkeling, rafting, and more. Kayaking on the backwaters is must to do activity while in Kerala.
Bamboo Rafting is another activity one should not miss, especially if they are a nature lover. You can traverse through many of the forest areas and watch the arboreal animals as well as the sweet sounds of the birds when you raft.
There are different kinds of opportunities for kayaking and canoeing that allow you to experience the culture of Kerala at close quarters. Explore the mesmerizing dense foliage and the incomparable beauty of the backwaters through a kayak tour. I saw some interesting kayak tours at eKerala Tourism website.
4. Trekking and camping for the outdoor enthusiasts – If you love nature and outdoors, you will love the experience of trekking and camping in Kerala that is loaded with picturesque countrysides, tropical rainforests, and green grasslands.
Some of the most popular destinations sought after by those who love to camp, and trek include Munnar, Palakkad, Idukki, Wayanad, and Kozhikode. Treks around the highest peaks in Kerala, Agasthyakoodam, Chembra, and Anamudi are very popular.
Enjoy the lush greenery around filled with exotic flora and fauna and breathe in the fragrant air of the spices. Chembra Peak is a popular point for trekking and mountain climbing. Alternatively, you can enter the dense forests at Thekkady and walk along a tiger trail under an expert guide.
5. Wildlife safari to know the biodiversity – Go on a wildlife safari in Kerala to realize the importance of nature and protecting its beauty. There are day and night safaris available to tourists, and one can enjoy elephant rides to go to interesting places.
A perfect way to get close with the wildlife is through elephant ride that makes for an unforgettable experience. Some of the most popular spots to enjoy an elephant ride in Kerala include Munnar, Wayanad, and Thekaddy.
A wildlife safari in Kerala will introduce you to the rich biodiversity of the state and its amazing flora and fauna. Muthanga Wildlife Sanctuary and Tholpetty Wildlife Sanctuary offer the best wildlife safari experience.
CLICK HERE FOR BREVARD COUNTY NEWS