How Can Sildenafil Tablets Benefit You?
By Space Coast Daily // August 23, 2019
What Is Sildenafil?
Erectile dysfunction affects around 40% of men over 40, with the number rising to 70% for men over 70 but regardless of age, one solution typically comes to mind – sildenafil.
You may know this medication by its brand name, Viagra, which offers a solution to an increasingly common problem. If you’re unsure whether sildenafil can benefit you, we’ve got a guide to help you decide.
What Is Sildenafil?
As mentioned before, sildenafil tablets are used as a treatment for various sexual function problems, including impotence and erectile dysfunction.
The medication increases the blood flow to the penis in order to aid the production of an erection and has been known to provide improved erections for two-thirds of all men who try it.
It is designed as an aid, and can’t create an erection on its own. You’ll also need to give up to 60 minutes for it to work.
Sildenafil has also been used to treat pulmonary hypertension, which is characterized by high blood pressure in vessels that supply the lungs.
Regardless of the condition being treated, sildenafil can be available on prescription in some cases, but can also be bought directly from most pharmacies, including online.
Can I Take It?
Generally speaking, any men over the age of 18 can take sildenafil, providing they don’t suffer from or experience any of the following:
- Allergic reactions to sildenafil or any of its ingredients
- Chest pains, with medication (nitrates) to treat it
- A serious heart or liver condition
- Have had a stroke or heart attack recently
- Have low blood pressure
- Have an inherited eye disease, including retinitis pigmentosa.
Men who have sickle cell anemia, leukemia, multiple myeloma, penis deformities, stomach ulcers or hemophilia will also need to speak to their GP prior to taking the medication to ensure that they won’t suffer any adverse effects.
Men under 18, including children, may also be prescribed sildenafil in lower doses to treat pulmonary hypertension, though this is more commonly known by the branded term Revatio.
Are There Any Side Effects?
Despite going through vigorous testing, sildenafil, like all medications, can cause various side effects. There are some more common, mild effects, and other more serious side effects that will require immediate medical attention.
The common effects include:
- Hot flushes
- Blurred or tinged vision
- A ‘stuffy’ nose
More serious side effects include:
- Chest Pains – if this occurs during intercourse, stop and get into a semi-sitting position to relax. Call a doctor immediately.
- Prolonged or Painful Erections – if the erection lasts for more than 4 hours, contact your doctor immediately
- Sudden Loss Or Decrease In Vision – This is rare, but requires quick medical attention
- Skin Reactions – this can include swelling, blistering, fever and peeling. This reaction usually occurs as a result of reactions with other medication.
If you think you may be having a reaction that isn’t listed above, you could be allergic to the medication. In this case, you should call the emergency number immediately.
Sildenafil, in the grander scheme, is a safe medication for men struggling to produce erections during intercourse for various reasons.
If you are ever unsure as to whether you can safely take the medication, speak to your GP or another qualified healthcare professional for advice before taking any.
CLICK HERE FOR BREVARD COUNTY NEWS