Argument Leads To Shooting At Cocoa Wawa, Man Carrying Concealed Firearm Helps, Suspect Hospitalized

By  //  November 18, 2019

ABOVE VIDEO: The Cocoa Police Department is investigating a shooting at a Wawa that sent one man to the hospital.

BREVARD COUNTY • COCOA, FLORIDA – Cocoa Police detectives are continuing to investigate a shooting at the Wawa convenient store on Sunday that resulted in a one suspect being shot by another man who was carrying concealed firearm.

The suspect who was hospitalized is identified as 46-year-old Rafael Germain Santiago. He is currently listed in stable condition.

Police say the investigation began when multiple calls were made to 911 around 1 a.m. on Sunday that a man had been shot at the Wawa located on 923 W. King Street.

When police and rescue units arrived, they found Santiago had been shot and quickly transported him to Holmes Regional.

The investigation shows two males entering the store to use the restroom.

A witness then reported seeing one of the males (Santiago) urinating outside the rear entrance.

“The witness told the store security guard at which time he engaged the suspect, who was with another male (Roman). The security guard told both males to leave the store,” said a spokesperson with Cocoa Police.

“The men began to argue with the security guard as he escorted them outside.”

Suspect Shot At Cocoa Wawa After Man Carrying Concealed Firearm Uses It In Self-Defense: PoliceRelated Story:
Suspect Shot At Cocoa Wawa After Man Carrying Concealed Firearm Uses It In Self-Defense: Police

The argument then escalated into a physical fight with the two men striking the security guard, knocking him to the ground. A witness with a concealed carry permit intervened and drew his weapon ordering the men to stop. Santiago then charged at the witness causing the witness to fire one round which struck Santiago.

The witness who fired the shot waited for police to respond and provided a statement to detectives.

The security guard was not seriously injured and wishes to pursue battery charges against the two male suspects.

Police say the investigation is ongoing and the findings will be forwarded to the State Attorney’s Office for further action.