Fresh From Florida: Make a Tasty Dish of Florida Osceola Turkey With Citrus Brine – Delicious!
By Space Coast Daily // November 12, 2019
Fresh From Florida Recipe
ABOVE VIDEO: Fresh From Florida shows you how to make a delicious recipe of Florida Osceola turkey with citrus brine.
BREVARD COUNTY, FLORIDA – Fresh From Florida shows you how to make a delicious recipe of Florida Osceola turkey with citrus brine.
- 1 Florida Osceola turkey
- 3 Florida oranges, halved
- 1 cup Florida honey
- 2 cups Florida orange juice
- 2 lemons, halved
- 2 limes, halved
- 1-2 gallons warm water
- 4 cups ice
- 1 ½ cups sea salt
- Fresh herbs (such as sage, rosemary, and thyme)
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- Butchers twine
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- In a large container or cooler, prepare brine by combining warm water, orange juice, 1 ½ cups sea salt, honey, bay leaves and fresh citrus.
- Whisk until the honey and salt are dissolved and add ice to cool the mixture.
- Place the turkey in the brine for 12-24 hours. Keep cool by storing in the refrigerator, or if using a cooler continually add ice to keep cold.
- To cook, remove the turkey and dry the skin thoroughly. Discard used brine.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees . Using your hands or a barbeque brush, cover turkey with softened butter. Generously season the outside and inside of the bird with salt and pepper.
- Place fresh herbs inside turkey and tie legs together with butcher’s twine (this will ensure turkey cooks even). Roast for 2 ½-3 hours, basting every 30 minutes, or until a digital food thermometer reads 160 degrees.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for at least 20 minutes before carving.
- “Fresh” tip: Brines are versatile! Experiment by using different combinations of herbs and spices. Brines can be used with poultry and pork products to enhance flavor.