How Kratom Can Help Your Mental Health
By Space Coast Daily // November 1, 2019
Mitragyna speciosa, a plant more commonly known as Kratom and native to the Southeast Asian regions of the world is a wonder plant.
The leaves of this plant are amazing and have a lot of beneficial effects.
This plant is a matter of much interest and many scientific studies because of its therapeutic effects. Though the use of this plant’s leaves as a medication is not approved by the FDA, it is sold as a dietary supplement and hence not controlled by the FDA either.
The first and most noticeable trait of this plant is that it can help you with your fight against addiction. The leaves are rich in a chemical called mitragynine.
The chemical itself is not an opiate but can bind with the opioid receptors in the brain thus producing opiate-like effects.
Opiates like codeine, opium and morphine bind to the opioid receptors and produce their respective stimulating “high.” Mitragynine is unlike opiates in structure and is a non-addictive alternative to opiate addiction.
The chemical makeup of kratom is such that it also is very potent in reducing the symptoms of chronic pain even when painkillers have failed.
When ingested in small quantities kratom acts as an energizer, pushing you to complete all the tasks of the day. However, if the leaves are ingested in higher quantities if will have sedative effects like that of opiates.
The risk of side effects also goes up by a terrible margin. It does not show any side effects when ingested in low quantities, but at high quantities, it can be fatal to the liver and the kidneys.
Kratom can also help someone suffering from obesity. At low quantities, kratom can reduce a person’s appetite thus helping with obesity.
Of the many effects of kratom, its most notable use comes from its effects upon the brain against conditions like depression, anxiety and so on.
The leaves comprise of over forty different active chemicals. Scientific records show that 26 of these active chemicals respond to be alkaloids.
The presence of these alkaloids leaves a bitter taste and the wondrous effects. Mitragynine is one of these alkaloids that are present in the leaves.
Another active and remarkable alkaloid present in the leaves is 7-hydroxymitragynine. Both these chemicals can efficiently adhere to the opioid receptors of the brain.
This brings about a stimulating, euphoric, feel-good effect that helps to fight depression and anxiety.
Kratom is available in three different variants. Variations come from the color of the vein on the leaves. The types of kratom in this respect are white vein, red vein, and green vein.
All these variants of kratom have different concentrations of the chemicals and can have hugely different effects upon the body and mind.
These variants of kratom come in a lot of different strains. The different strains come from different areas of production, much like marijuana strains.
The most notable strains of kratom are as follows:
- Meeng Da: It is one of the many long-lasting kratoms growing abundantly in Thailand. Meeng Da also grows in Indonesia and Malaysia. It is stimulating, gives energy and has a feel-good effect, thus being good at fighting depression and anxiety. You can also buy Meeng da online also from trusted sites such as bigbearkratom and many others
- Indo: This is the strain of kratom chiefly cultivated in Indonesia. This strain has a feel-good effect and relaxes both the mind and body. Their relaxing tendencies can greatly help against anxiety.
- Bali: The Bali strain of kratom is reddish-brown and has a red vein. It is said to have the most opiate-like effect and is very effecting in curing chronic pain and helping with depression.
- Green Malay: This is a strain of kratom that originates from the Bali islands. This kratom is green in color and has a very good effect on reducing pain. This strain is effective in treating anxiety.
- Thai: Thai kratom is available in all the variant- red, green and white veins. The effects of Thai kratom tend to vary with the variant. Green and white Thai kratom has the most euphoric effect on the mind thus helping curb depression and anxiety.
- Borneo: Borneo kratom comes in all the three varieties- red, green and white. Its effects are sedative and work wonders against anxiety and stress.
Since there are so many types of kratom available in the market, it is recommended that you do some research before you go for a strain of kratom.
Suffering from ailments such as depression or anxiety is already very cumbersome and taking a wrong strain of kratom at such a delicate stage can have disastrous results.
You may end up having all the more depressing tendencies if you take to the wrong strain. You should study your condition carefully before making a choice.
The dosage of kratom that you are taking is also a matter of consideration. At low dosage kratom seems to have stimulating and euphoric effects while at higher concentration it can be a sedative.
It shows remarkable opiate-like effects at higher concentrations and also becomes fatal to vital organs.
Kratom should be ingested in moderation, at about 5 gm every day and not more than that.
Remember that kratom works towards mood upliftment at low doses and can lead to sudden mood swings at higher doses. It can also lead to psychosis if the use is not controlled.