Fresh From Florida: Make a Tasty Dish of Florida Strawberry Fritters– Delicious!
By Space Coast Daily // February 17, 2020
Fresh From Florida Recipe
BREVARD COUNTY, FLORIDA – Fresh From Florida shows you how to make a tasty dessert dish of Florida strawberry fritters.
- 2 cups Florida strawberries, diced
- 1 cup Florida orange juice
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch of cardamom
- Pinch of white pepper
- ½ cup sugar (for coating)
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon (for coating)
- 2 quarts (or more) oil, for frying
- In a medium bowl toss sugar and cinnamon together and set aside.
- To prepare the batter, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, and white pepper in a large bowl.
- Add the diced strawberries to the flour mixture and toss to combine. In a separate bowl whisk together the orange juice, eggs, and melted butter. Add dry ingredients (in 2 stages) to wet ingredients until fully combined. Set batter aside to rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add at least 2 inches oil to cast iron pan or Dutch oven and heat over medium-high heat until 350 degrees. Using an ice cream scoop (or other high heat safe spoon) drop mounds of batter into hot oil, being careful not to overcrowd pan.
- Allow to fry at least 6-8 minutes, flipping halfway through, or until golden brown. Transfer fritters to paper-towel lined baking sheet to drain any excess oil. Immediately toss in cinnamon-sugar mixture to coat. Serve warm.
Fresh tip: Seasonal fruit (Florida blueberries or mangoes) can be substituted if desired.
CLICK HERE FOR BREVARD COUNTY NEWS