Health First Proactively Implementing Processes to Prevent Spread of COVID-19 in Brevard Community
By Space Coast Daily // March 18, 2020
Health First strongly encourages you to keep updated on this situation and stay informed
WATCH: Steve Johnson, Chief Executive Officer of Health First, “We are prepared and have implemented processes to ensure we can continue to provide you and your loved ones safe, high-quality care.”
With the First Presumptive Positive Case Reported Monday on the Space Coast, Brevard’s Community Healthcare System is Taking Measures to Protect People
BREVARD COUNTY, FLORIDA – As Brevard’s community healthcare system, Health First has been busy preparing for the Novel Coronavirus Disease, COVID-19.
Health First Proactively Plans COVID-19 Response
For over 80 years, Health First has supported Brevard County in its health needs. As a provider of wellness and health services for our community, we wanted to share information to help protect yourself and your loved ones.
Health First regularly prepares for and conducts drills for all types of situations, including hurricanes and biological emergencies, such as COVID-19. We have the staff and resources needed to meet the healthcare needs of our community.
“Prevention is the most important initial strategy,” said Jeffrey Stalnaker, MD, and Chief Physician Executive for Health First.
“Over the past two weeks, we have implemented many processes to prevent potential spread of COVID-19 in our community and Health First.
In order to be prepared to best safeguard the community, Health First wants the public to be reassured that different scenarios are being planned, based on potential levels of community spread of COVID-19. We want to be prepared for a variety of situations.
In addition, here is a brief summary of Health First’s preparation for the current situation:
• Preparedness: Health First regularly prepares for and conducts drills for all types of situations, including hurricanes and biological emergencies, such as COVID-19. We have the staff and resources needed to meet the healthcare needs of our community.
Our “Command Center” is up and functioning—and is staffed seven days a week. This Center is led by emergency preparedness professionals, clinicians and operational experts, who have the authority and ability to respond rapidly to dynamic situations.
• Hospitals: All four Health First Hospitals and Emergency Departments are fully functioning and are serving patients of many types. We are highly practiced at preventing the spread of infectious diseases in hospitals and those measures apply to COVID-19 as well. We have implemented screenings of associates, patients, visitors and vendors that exceed the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and Florida Department of Health recommendations.
We are currently reviewing and limiting our elective surgical and diagnostic procedures in our hospitals to help limit the possible spread of the virus. We are actively reaching out to patients regarding their procedures to reschedule to a later date.
• Health First Medical Group/Physicians: As of Wednesday, March 18, 2020, all of our Health First Medical Group offices are open. Some availability may be affected by demand as a number of appointments are being canceled by patients. In addition, if you need non-emergent, routine medical care, you might be able to schedule a virtual visit with a provider.
For more information and to see if you have the opportunity to talk with a provider from your home, please call 321.434.3131.
• Urgent Care: As of Wednesday, March 18, all Health First Urgent Care locations are open.
• Pro-Health & Fitness Centers: As of Wednesday, March 18, our Pro-Health & Fitness locations will be closed until further notice. We chose to do so out of an abundance of caution and the many recommendations to limit social contact when it is discretionary.
Health First strongly encourages you to keep updated on this situation and stay informed. If you need medical care, please seek immediate care from a healthcare professional.
Health First is your local, not-for-profit Integrated Delivery Network (IDN), and we want you to “stay well.”
CLICK HERE FOR BREVARD COUNTY NEWS