FRESH FROM FLORIDA: Make a Tasty Dish of Florida Strawberry and Citrus Shortcake – Delicious!
By Space Coast Daily // April 26, 2020
Fresh From Florida Recipe
BREVARD COUNTY, FLORIDA – Fresh From Florida shows you how to make a delicious recipe of Florida strawberry and citrus shortcake.
• 1 Florida orange, zested and juiced, divided
• 1 pound Florida strawberries, sliced
• 4 tablespoons Florida sugar, divided
• 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
• 1 stick unsalted butter, slightly melted and cooled
• 1 cup milk, plus 2 tablespoons
• 1 tablespoon baking powder
• Pinch of sea salt
• ½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
• 1 cup heavy cream
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
• 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Combine flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder and a pinch of salt in a medium bowl. Next add melted butter, 1 cup milk, and half of the orange zest and juice. Stir until combined, do not overmix. Drop dough by tablespoonful onto parchment-lined baking sheet. Brush tops with milk and sprinkle remaining sugar on each shortcake. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until cooked thoroughly. Remove from oven and set aside to cool slightly.
- Strawberry Sauce
- In a small saucepot, combine strawberries, remaining orange zest and juice, ground pepper and cornstarch. Bring to boil and reduce to simmer for 5 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- Whipped Cream
- Using a whisk or hand mixer, beat cream, vanilla and confectioners’ sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Assemble by cutting shortcake in half and topping with strawberry sauce and whipped cream.
CLICK HERE FOR BREVARD COUNTY NEWS