Health First Provides Tips on How to Properly Clean and Dry Cloth Face Masks
By Health First // May 30, 2020
important to keep face masks properly sanitized
BREVARD COUNTY, FLORIDA – Sure, they’re not especially fun to wear. But a face mask could save your life – or the life of someone you love. And in the era of COVID-19, wearing this protective gear isn’t enough. It’s important to keep your face masks properly sanitized.
While lockdown restrictions continue to ease, cloth face masks being donned in public serve as a visual healthcare symbol of the “new normal” during the COVID-19 pandemic.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), cloth face masks should be washed regularly during COVID-19. They should also be washed after each use to ensure cleanliness.
The CDC outlines how to properly clean and dry cloth face masks:
▪ Include your face masks or coverings with regular laundry
▪ Use regular laundry detergent and warm water
Washing by Hand
▪ Prepare a bleach solution by mixing: 5 tablespoons (1/3 cup) household bleach per gallon of room temperature water or 4 teaspoons household bleach per quart of room temperature water
▪ Check the label to see if your bleach is intended for disinfection. Some bleach products, such as those designed for safe use on colored clothing, may not be suitable for disinfection. Ensure the bleach product is not past its expiration date. Never mix household bleach with ammonia or any other cleanser.
▪ Soak the face covering in the bleach solution for 5 minutes.
▪ Rinse thoroughly with cool or room-temperature water.
How to Dry
▪ Dryer – Use the highest heat setting and leave in dryer until completely dry.
▪ Air dry – Lay flat and allow to completely dry. If possible, place the cloth face covering in direct sunlight.
Sporting these masks and ensuring they are sanitary is a small step all of us can do in our efforts to stay safe.
CLICK HERE FOR BREVARD COUNTY NEWS