U.S. Coast Guard Provides Tips and Urges Preparedness for 2020 Hurricane Season

By  //  June 2, 2020

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on LinkedIn Share on Delicious Digg This Stumble This

people should always prepare for the unexpected

The Coast Guard reminds the public and mariners to prepare for the 2020 hurricane season. The Atlantic hurricane season runs from June 1 to Nov. 30, with the peak occurring between mid-August and late October. (NOAA image)

BREVARD COUNTY, FLORIDA – The Coast Guard reminds the public and mariners to prepare for the 2020 hurricane season. The Atlantic hurricane season runs from June 1 to Nov. 30, with the peak occurring between mid-August and late October.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Climate Prediction Center is forecasting a 40% chance of a near-normal season, a 30% chance of an above-normal season, and a 30% chance of a below-normal season.

Even with this prediction, people should always prepare for the unexpected, making sure they are ready for the hurricane season.

“It is essential for the safety of you and your family to prepare for a hurricane before it arrives,” said Capt. Mark Vlaun, commanding officer of Coast Guard Sector Jacksonville.

“We highly recommend ensuring you have a hurricane survival kit with items like batteries, flashlights, radios, and water. It’s also paramount you pay close attention to the weather both ashore and out at sea and heed the messages, warnings, and orders of local authorities.”

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Climate Prediction Center is forecasting a 40% chance of a near-normal season, a 30% chance of an above-normal season, and a 30% chance of a below-normal season. (NOAA image)

The Coast Guard recommends you keep the following things in mind for this hurricane season:

• Prepare a kit. Ensure you and your family have a disaster kit ready to go in case of an emergency. For more information on items to include in a kit visit Ready.gov preparedness tips.
• Get to know your surroundings. Know the elevation of your house and property. Hurricanes often bring storm surge, which is considered the greatest threat to property and life during any tropical storm. Know your communities’ evacuation routes and how you would evacuate to higher ground. For more information on potential storm surge areas visit NOAA’s storm surge site.
• Check the weather. The Coast Guard mobile app for boating safety is a tool to check marine weather from your phone. With the mobile app, you can check the weather at nearby NOAA buoys, which provides wind speed and direction along with wave height. Checking weather anytime you plan to get underway and while throughout your time on the water is highly recommended.
• Secure your boats. Review your hurricane plan with your local marina, ensure you have a plan to both bring your boat in and strap it down ashore or ensure it is properly equipped to ride out the storm at the marina.
Listen to local officials. If told to evacuate, do so immediately. You should consider evacuating if you live near bodies of water, a mobile home, or high-rise building.

HURRICANE SEASON IS HERE: Above-Normal 2020 Atlantic Hurricane Season is Predicted By NOAARelated Story:
HURRICANE SEASON IS HERE: Above-Normal 2020 Atlantic Hurricane Season is Predicted By NOAA

CLICK HERE FOR BREVARD COUNTY NEWS

Leave a Comment