FRESH FROM FLORIDA: Make a Tasty Dish of Florida Strawberry and Citrus Shortcake – Delicious!
By Space Coast Daily // November 6, 2020
Fresh From Florida Recipe
BREVARD COUNTY, FLORIDA – Fresh From Florida shows you how to make a delicious recipe of Florida strawberry and citrus shortcake.
• 1 Florida orange, zested and juiced, divided
• 1 pound Florida strawberries, sliced
• 4 tablespoons Florida sugar, divided
• 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
• 1 stick unsalted butter, slightly melted and cooled
• 1 cup milk, plus 2 tablespoons
• 1 tablespoon baking powder
• Pinch of sea salt
• ½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
• 1 cup heavy cream
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
• 1 teaspoon cornstarch
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Combine flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder and a pinch of salt in a medium bowl. Next add melted butter, 1 cup milk, and half of the orange zest and juice. Stir until combined, do not overmix. Drop dough by tablespoonful onto parchment-lined baking sheet. Brush tops with milk and sprinkle remaining sugar on each shortcake. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until cooked thoroughly. Remove from oven and set aside to cool slightly.
• Strawberry Sauce
In a small saucepot, combine strawberries, remaining orange zest and juice, ground pepper and cornstarch. Bring to boil and reduce to simmer for 5 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
• Whipped Cream
Using a whisk or hand mixer, beat cream, vanilla and confectioners’ sugar until stiff peaks form.
Assemble by cutting shortcake in half and topping with strawberry sauce and whipped cream.
CLICK HERE FOR BREVARD COUNTY NEWS