Titusville Gulls Semi-Pro Baseball Team Played in Central Florida East Coast League in 1940s

By  //  November 20, 2020

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on LinkedIn Share on Delicious Digg This Stumble This

BREVARD HISTORY SPOTLIGHT

The Titusville Gulls semi-pro baseball team of 1947 was a member of the Central Florida East Coast League. The team consisted of some local players and some students from Rollins College. See the image ID below.

BREVARD COUNTY • TITUSVILLE, FLORIDA – The 1947 Titusville Gulls semi-pro baseball team consisted of some local players and some students from Rollins College.

The team played at the old Draa Field when it was in the baseball configuration.

There was a large multi-tiered wooden stadium that provided different levels of view of the field for the observation of the game by the crowd.

The stadium had restrooms, two locker rooms with showers, lockers and a dressing area for the players. Dugouts were provided on either side of the stadium for the home and visitors.

Day games were played there normally but high wattage lights were mounted on top of the stadium that provided lighting for night games at Draa Field.

About an equal amount of day and night games were played there during the season.

A circular wooden fence was positioned around the outfield and there were bull-pen areas provided for each team on their respective side of the field.

Titusville’s Draa Park in the 1970s baseball configuration. A circular wooden fence was positioned around the outfield and there were bull-pen areas provided for each team on their respective side of the field.

The Titusville Gulls semi-pro baseball team players for 1947 were identified from the above picture by Dr. Jim Clark who was a four-year letterman in baseball from Titusville High School.

He played baseball for THS during the 1950-1954 baseball seasons. His uncle, Joe (Buster) Brown was the manager of the Gulls during the time Dr. Clark played baseball for THS.

Dr. Clark had a close association with almost all of these players because his uncle allowed him to participate in team practices with the players and he came to know most of them.

1947 Gulls Team Picture ID:

Row/Pos Name Local/Rollins College Position Played
T/1 Jack Mendel, Utility
T/2 Earl Joyner, Utility
T/3 Doug Barnhart, Local Infield
T/4 Harvey Cox, Rollins College, Outfield
T/5 Smiley Wellman, Rollins College, Infield
T/6 Jim Blalock, Rollins College
T/7 Jim Cavello, Rollins College, Pitcher
T/8 Bob Hartman, Local Utility
T/9 William Levan, Local Manager
B/1 Buddy McBryde, Rollins College, Catcher
B/2 Bob Lassiter, Rollins College, Pitcher
B/3 Milford Talton, Rollins Collins, Infield
B/4 Kenny Duff, Local, Outfield
B/5 Selby Bailey, Local, Coach
B/6 Roscoe Ray, Utility
B/7 George Whidden, Local, Infield
B/8 Courtland Flake, Local, Utility
B/9 David Marese, Local, Batboy

WATCH LIVE! Merritt Island Mustangs Takes on the Melbourne Bulldogs in Boys Basketball ActionRelated Story:
WATCH LIVE! Merritt Island Mustangs Takes on the Melbourne Bulldogs in Boys Basketball Action