FDLE Investigation Received by State Attorney’s Office in Case of BCSO Deputy Using Deadly Force in 2020
By Space Coast Daily // February 12, 2021
SA Office: the review process is moving forward in a careful, thoughtful, and deliberate manner
BREVARD COUNTY SHERIFF WAYNE IVEY: Two of our Deputies, Jafet Santiago-Miranda and Carson Hendren were involved in an Officer-Involved Shooting that resulted in the deaths of 16-year-old Angelo Crooms and 18-year-old Sincere Pierce, both members of our community. As you can clearly hear and see on the video recording (above), Deputy Santiago–Miranda gives repeated verbal commands, seven to be exact, for the driver of the vehicle to stop the car, however, the driver of the vehicle, 16-year-old Angelo Crooms turns and accelerates the vehicle towards Deputy Santiago-Miranda who was then forced to fire his service weapon in an attempt to stop the deadly threat of the car from crashing into him.
BREVARD COUNTY, FLORIDA – The State Attorney’s Office for the 18th judicial district announced that they received the FDLE investigation report into the incident that involved a BCSO deputy using deadly force on Sincere Pierce and Angelo Crooms in November of last year.
“We are confirming that our office has received the Florida Department of Law Enforcement’s investigative report surrounding the November 13, 2020, use of deadly force by Brevard County Deputy Jafet Santiago Miranda resulting in the deaths of Sincere Pierce and Angelo Crooms,” said FDLE in a released statement.
The role of the State Attorney in conducting the review is to determine whether a criminal violation of Florida law has occurred, whether any person may be held criminally responsible, and whether such criminal responsibility can be proven beyond a reasonable doubt in a court of law.
“Our commitment to justice is the fundamental and guiding principal in every such decision,” said FDLE.
There is no timeline for completion and State Attorney’s office will conduct an exhaustive inquiry into the information provided by the FDLE, as well as pursue any investigative leads or information uncovered during that process.
While the investigation is active and under review, information contained within the FDLE reports related to this case is exempt from public record.”
“Our long-standing policy is not to offer public comment on open investigations or pending prosecutions, we felt it was important to confirm the review process is moving forward in a careful, thoughtful, and deliberate manner.”
Currently, both deputies involved in the shooting are on paid administrative leave during the course of the investigation as is customary in all officer-involved shooting investigations.
Brevard County Sheriff Wayne Ivey released the following statement last November about the shooting:
“While there are many other forthcoming details and evidence concerning this tragic incident, such as the recovery of two firearms from the vehicle, the case is currently an active and ongoing investigation being conducted by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement who anticipates that the investigative findings will be presented to the State Attorney’s Office for review within the next 60-90 days.
“In closing, I ask that you keep the family of the two young men in your thoughts and prayers and also our Deputies, as an incident of this magnitude impacts everyone, including our entire community.”
CLICK HERE FOR BREVARD COUNTY NEWS