Health First Reminds All Floridians to Prepare an Emergency Medical Checklist for Hurricane Season
By Health First // June 1, 2021
NOAA predicts a 60% chance of an above-normal hurricane season this year
BREVARD COUNTY, FLORIDA — As Brevard County’s Health First prepares for an active 2021 hurricane season on the Atlantic Coast, we’d also like to take time to remind all Floridians to remember important health and medical necessities when preparing your own hurricane checklist.
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) predicts a 60% chance of an above-normal hurricane season this year, expecting a range of 13 to 20 named storms to make an appearance in the Atlantic Ocean.
It is vital for people living in the path of potential hurricanes to be prepared to shelter in place in the event of a dangerous storm. While it’s crucial to stock up on water, batteries and non-perishable food, it’s just as critical to make sure your family’s medical needs are being anticipated.
WATCH: NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center is predicting a 60 percent chance that the 2021 Atlantic hurricane season will be above-normal. There is a 30 percent chance of a near-normal season and just a 10 percent chance of a below-normal season. We can expect a likely range of 13-20 named storms, of which 6-10 are expected to become hurricanes. Of those hurricanes, 3-5 are expected to become major hurricanes of Category 3 or higher.
Medical hurricane supply checklists should include, but are not limited to:
■ A seven-day minimum supply of prescription medications
■ A seven-day minimum supply of over-the-counter medications, like aspirin or ibuprofen pain relievers, antacids and allergy medications
■ First-aid items such as adhesive bandages, gauze and antibiotic ointment
■ Devices or tools like an oral thermometer, tweezers and scissors
■ Batteries or a generator for those that are oxygen-dependent or require medical equipment that is powered by electricity
■ EpiPens, nebulizers, inhalers and similar devices
■ Items for protection against COVID-19 such as hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol, bar or liquid soap, disinfectant wipes, and at least two masks for each person.
In addition to the supply checklist, families should also:
■ Know where local health care facilities are located (if temporarily staying in a different city.)
■ Make sure that medications and supplies are not expired well before the event of a hurricane to allow time to replace any outdated items
■ Keep their supply kit in an accessible location that everyone is aware of
■ Print important documents (e.g., emergency phone numbers, insurance cards and documents)
■ Ensure carbon monoxide detectors have working batteries
■ Place generators outside, at least 20 feet from any door, window, or vent
More information on disaster readiness is available from Brevard County Emergency Management, 321-637-6670, and from the Red Cross, www.RedCross.org or 321.890.1002.
Additionally, to help you and your family prepare for this hurricane season by creating your own personalized disaster plan, CLICK HERE