BREVARD HISTORY: First Cruise Terminals Dedicated 38 Years Ago At Port Canaveral

By  //  September 5, 2021

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on LinkedIn Share on Delicious Digg This Stumble This

geodesic domes served as exhibit pavilions during NASA's 25th Anniversary celebration

On May 23, 1983, Cruise Terminals 2 and 3 were dedicated by then U.S. Congressman Bill Nelson. Prior to becoming cruise terminals, the 8,700-square-foot geodesic domes served as exhibit pavilions during NASA‘s 25th Anniversary celebration. (Port Canaveral image)

BREVARD COUNTY • PORT CANAVERAL, FLORIDA – On May 23, 1983, the original Cruise Terminals 2 and 3 were dedicated by then U.S. Congressman Bill Nelson.

Prior to becoming cruise terminals, the 8,700-square-foot geodesic domes served as exhibit pavilions during NASA’s 25th Anniversary celebration.

The Port purchased them after the event ended and the piers were converted from former tanker berths.

The total cost for both terminal conversions, including piers, parking, and landscaping was $3.3 million.

Three years later in April 1986, Congressman Nelson returned to dedicate Cruise Terminal 4.

FLASHBACK: Tropicana Revolutionizes Citrus Industry, Takes Up Residence at Port Canaveral in 1955Related Story:
FLASHBACK: Tropicana Revolutionizes Citrus Industry, Takes Up Residence at Port Canaveral in 1955

CLICK HERE FOR BREVARD COUNTY NEWS