A Beginner’s Guide to Developing an iOS Gaming App
By Space Coast Daily // November 12, 2022
A popular category of applications is gaming. As per the statistics, the greatest amount of consumer spending comes from gaming applications. Consumers spent 51.6 billion USD on iOS gaming applications in 2021, making mobile applications the highest-grossing apps.
It can be concluded that iOS games will help you generate lots of revenue through consumer spending. Here is a step-by-step guide to help you develop a gaming application for iOS for all non-technical people interested in software development.
Coming up with a robust idea has to be your first step in app development. Think about interesting games that your audience would enjoy. Be innovative and generate a unique idea that would surely hook people to their phones.
Reflect upon your idea and evaluate the following:
- Is my game engaging and interesting? Will it continue to stay interesting for the people after some time?
- Is it practically possible to execute this idea through an application?
- What will be the rules of the game?
Try to keep your game simple yet challenging to ensure the interest of the people.
Do your research to investigate the following areas:
- Existing gaming apps – make sure your idea is somehow different from the existing games
- What consumers want – try to see what people are interested in.
- The in-demand category of games – find out what your audience is interested in the most: puzzles, racing games, or any other category of applications.
- Latest technologies that are being used by the iOS app developers in New York
3. Think about Monetization Prospects
Reflect on how you can monetize your application and benefit from it. If you want to generate revenue through consumer spending, you can adopt the following monetization models:
- In-app purchases
- Paid apps
4. Create a Checklist
Make a checklist of your requirements and include everything that you would want your application to have. Your checklist must include everything from you game concept to application features and monetization plan. You are also recommended to add your budget and project timeline to the list.
5. On-board a Development Team
Hire iOS developers with relevant experience in developing gaming apps. You can hire developers from the top software development company so that you don’t have to go through the hassle of hiring project managers, designers, and digital marketers. They would have the resources to handle all of these processes for you.
Before you take developers on board, you should ensure they have the following skills and equipment:
- Proficiency in using Swift or Objective C, i.e., the programming language for apple
- Apple Developer’s License
6. Emphasize the Visual Aspects of the Application
The graphics and the visual aspects of a gaming application have to be superior. You, your designers, and your developers have to collaborate to build high-end graphics. The following tools can be used for this purpose:
- OpenGL ES
Each of these tools has its pros and cons. Professional iOS app developers in New York may pick the most suitable tool while building your software.
7. Test for Quality Assurance
Testing the game is an essential practice. Make sure your developers run the app and test it. Look out for the following while testing the game:
- The app doesn’t crash because who would want to play a game that keeps crashing
- The app is functioning without glitches; it is performing the way you expected it to
- Loading time is not too much
- The application is easy to use
- Game rules are easy to understand and comprehend
- The graphics are good enough
8. Launch the App
Once you are sure about the quality of your applications, launch your game in the app store. However, you are required to do the following while launching your application:
- Promoting your product through marketing
- Optimizing app store search engine
- Fixing bugs or issues that may arise as user-base increases
Inspirational iOS Gaming Apps
Here are the top 3 iOS gaming apps to inspire you:
The best part about this game is that it is a modern version of the childhood game that people love playing. Heads-up is a digital version of the commonly played dumb charades. This app is great for group activities. It’s fun, and the responsivity of the application makes it extremely easy to use. In addition, this application also offers a variety of categories, including accents, movies, characters, and so on.
- Paid app
- In-app purchases
This game uses GPS to determine your location and accordingly, it makes a Pokémon appear near you. You capture the Pokémon, train it, and then participate in battles. It is a great game for people that are literally on the go. Moreover, Pokémon Go is also derived from the childhood cartoon watched my numerous people; there is a sense of nostalgia attached to this game.
- In-app purchases
In Two Dots, you have to connect the dots to meet certain goals. There are numerous levels, each harder than the previous level, maintaining the interest of the users in the application. As you proceed to high levels, you also travel from one location to another in the app. Moreover, newer characters and elements are introduced to keep the users engaged. New challenges are also constantly introduced in the game in the form of limited-time events.
- In-app purchases
Just make sure you have a robust monetization plan to benefit from your gaming application if you plan to earn from your application. In most cases, free apps monetize through in-app purchases that give a player a considerable advantage over others. Your monetization strategy depends on the nature and purchasing power of your audience. This is the reason why consumer research has to be conducted before you step into app development.
Gaming applications are widely used by people globally. Your gaming application can enable you to generate a lot of revenue through consumer spending. To develop such apps, you must have a great game concept, and then you should hire the top software development company to execute the development of the game for you.