Domestic Shipping – A Quick Guide
By Space Coast Daily // March 24, 2023
Shipping a package need not be difficult. Yet with a never-ending list of options to choose from, it can become a package-forwarding nightmare. In this article, we will go over the basics and help you steer the world of domestic shipping with ease.
What is Domestic Shipping?
Domestic shipping is the mode by which you send a package to someone that lives within the United States for personal or professional reasons. You should check with your carrier if the US state or territory you plan on shipping to would be categorized as domestic shipping.
Options available for Domestic Shipping
With technology in our hands, it has become easier than ever before to control our information. Most domestic shipments today have the capability of being tracked from start to finish. Some of the popular options for domestic shipping are —
- Postal Service – The USPS is one of the most trusted household names for postal services in the United States. They offer domestic shipping, besides other services, to reach your loved ones in a reasonable amount of time.
- FedEx – One of the largest names in shipping, FedEx presents several options, including domestic shipping to get your package in time, from ground shipping to overnight shipping.
- UPS – Another familiar household name, UPS is yet another trusted shipping partner that has a plethora of options for domestic shipping, such as same-day shipping, next-day air, and so on.
- DHL – With equally competitive shipping rates and a robust network of providers, DHL is a large name in the shipping industry, just like FedEx or DHL. They process multiple orders for domestic shipping.
How to Choose the Right Domestic Shipping Service
Shipping can be a simple process done in a few easy steps. But before that, it is important to choose the right service. For this, you need to take into consideration critical factors that will help you narrow down your choice.
- Cost – Several factors influence the cost of your package, ranging from its size, weight, special handling, dimensions, etc. Compare carrier rates to find the lowest and best quality shipping carrier for your needs.
- Dimensional Weight – You may have noticed shipping companies charge you for something called dimensional weight over the actual weight of your item. All shipping carriers use the DIM weight method to calculate shipping costs. Make sure your package is the right size. The heavier, the costlier.
- Speed – Don’t mind waiting a bit? If so, domestic shipping is the right choice for you. Want your package to reach your customer soon? Choose an overnight or same-day shipping service that will get your package delivered quickly.
- Tracking – Got a package coming your way? Shipping companies have made it easy to plan shipments ahead of time, so you don’t have to ask a neighbour to watch out or be at home all day when you could be out doing something productive.
- Insurance – Have something precious in your package? It might be a good idea to get shipping insurance to keep yourself protected from any unexpected financial costs or tedious replacements.
You are all set to book your domestic shipping. Shipping is not a complicated science. With some due diligence, regard for regulations, and the right service, you can ship with ease and stick to your budget. Happy Shipping!