Crash Course: Understanding Truck Accidents and How an Attorney Can Help
By Space Coast Daily // May 15, 2023
With a law degree under his belt, Mark Scott understood very early that law communication was a relatively neglected area.
He decided to help people by “translating” the language and offering information and advice in a clear, useful, and actionable manner. For this reason, instead of finding him in court, you will most likely find his name online, where he is very active and thriving as a legal columnist. His part of making the world a better place is to make the law a less convoluted maze.
. He aims to make it easier for people to understand when and how to seek legal counsel, how to proceed in a significant number of legal matters, and to find the proper resources so they can stand up for their rights.
Truck accidents can be catastrophic and often result in severe injuries or even death. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), in 2019, there were 4,119 people killed in crashes involving large trucks in the United States, and over 100,000 people were injured. It is essential to understand the causes of truck accidents and how a trusted truck accident attorney can help in case of an accident.
Causes of Truck Accidents
There are several reasons why truck accidents happen, and some of the most common ones are:
- Driver Error: Driver error is the leading cause of truck accidents. This includes distracted driving, speeding, fatigue, and impaired driving.
- Equipment Failure: Equipment failure can occur due to a lack of maintenance, manufacturing defects, or faulty equipment. Brakes, tires, and steering systems are the most common equipment failures that lead to truck accidents.
- Overloaded or Improperly Loaded Cargo: When cargo is not loaded correctly or is overloaded, it can shift during transit, causing the truck to become unstable and potentially causing an accident.
- Weather Conditions: Bad weather conditions such as heavy rain, fog, or snow can make driving more challenging, leading to accidents.
- Road Conditions: Poor road conditions, such as potholes, uneven pavement, or debris on the road, can also cause accidents.
- Negligence: Negligence can occur when a trucking company fails to properly train its drivers or fails to maintain its trucks, leading to accidents.
How an Attorney Can Help
If you or a loved one has been involved in a truck accident, it is crucial to seek the help of an experienced attorney. Here are some ways an attorney can assist you:
- Investigating the Accident: An attorney can investigate the accident by gathering evidence, interviewing witnesses, and reconstructing the accident scene. This helps to determine liability and can strengthen your case.
- Negotiating with Insurance Companies: Insurance companies are known for trying to settle for as little as possible. An attorney can negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf to ensure you receive fair compensation for your injuries and damages.
- Filing a Lawsuit: If a fair settlement cannot be reached, an attorney can file a lawsuit on your behalf. This is a complex legal process, and having an experienced attorney by your side can increase your chances of success.
- Ensuring You Receive Proper Medical Care: An attorney can help you find the right medical providers and ensure that you receive proper medical care. This is crucial for your health and well-being and can also strengthen your case.
- Helping You Understand Your Rights: An attorney can help you understand your legal rights and the legal process. This can help reduce stress and anxiety during this difficult time.
- Holding Responsible Parties Accountable: An attorney can hold the responsible parties accountable for their actions. This can help prevent future accidents and make our roads safer for everyone.
Steps to Take After a Truck Accident
If you are involved in a truck accident, it is essential to take the following steps:
- Seek Medical Attention: Your health and safety are the most important things. Seek medical attention right away, even if you do not think you are injured.
- Call the Police: Call the police and report the accident. This will ensure that an accident report is filed, which can be helpful in determining liability.
- Document the Accident: Take pictures of the accident scene, the vehicles involved, and any injuries sustained. This can be used as evidence in your case.
- Exchange Information: Exchange information with the other driver, including names, phone numbers, insurance information, and license plate numbers.
- Contact an Attorney: Contact an attorney as soon as possible. An attorney can provide you with legal guidance and help protect your rights.
- Do Not Speak to Insurance Companies: It is important not to speak to insurance companies without an attorney present. Insurance adjusters may try to get you to say something that could hurt your case.
- Keep Records: Keep records of all medical bills, lost wages, and other expenses related to the accident. This will help your attorney when negotiating with insurance companies or presenting your case in court.
Contact a Lawyer for Help
Truck accidents can have devastating consequences for those involved. Understanding the causes of truck accidents and how an attorney can help is essential if you or a loved one has been in an accident. Seeking the help of an experienced attorney can ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve and that the responsible parties are held accountable.
Remember to take the necessary steps after a truck accident, such as seeking medical attention, documenting the accident, and contacting an attorney. With the right legal representation, you can focus on your recovery and move forward after a truck accident.