Top 5 Factors Affecting The Charging Speed Of Your EV

By  //  November 10, 2023

Ever wonder how much time your EV will take to charge? Well, there are several vital factors in the play that will determine the time taken by your EV to charge.

There are many things to consider, like EV model, manufacturer, charging level, station type, etc.

In this article, you will get the top 5 factors that alter the charging speed of your EV. So, without any further ado, let us dive into the list.

5 Key Factors To Deem

Here are the five major factors that affect the charging speed of the EV. 

  1. Charging Capacity Of The Vehicle

All the EVs come with different charging capacities. In short, different models of EVs accept different power sources to charge their capacities. Due to this varying factor, even cars with the same battery size will charge at different speeds. Moreover, some EVS accept AC charging sources, while others depend on DC power sources for charging.

Let us understand this notion by a simple example. There are two EVs with a similar battery size. However, EV1 accepts a power source of 50kW while EV2 accepts a 250kW power source. So, it is obvious that the EV2 will charge more quickly than the EV1, even if they have the same battery size.

  1. Battery

Battery size is another determining factor in the overall charging speed of the EV. The bigger the size of the battery in your EV, the higher will the time taken by the power source to charge your EV to full capacity.

The battery size is measured in kWh (Kilowatt-hours) units for the EV, which is similar to a gallon or liter. One kWH is equivalent to the amount of energy that you will require to power a 1000 Watt appliance for one hour.

  1. State Of Your EV Battery 

The notion is pretty simple to understand. The current state of your EV battery capacity will determine the time taken by it to charge to its full capacity. For example, an EV with half capacity will require less time to charge than an EV that is almost empty. 

In case of any emergency, you can use the dedicated apps to get access to the charging stations map to find fast charges near your location and add some quick miles to your vehicle.

  1. Weather State

EV batteries charge more efficiently in warm regions where the temperature ranges from 20oC to 25oC. So, if you are living in a region that experiences hot or cold temperatures, then your vehicle will take more time to charge.

  1. Charging Output Of Station

The charging output of the station is indirectly proportional to the time taken by the EV to charge. So, if the station offers higher power output, then your EV will take less time to charge as compared to the charging station offering less power.

Moreover, the AC charger will charge the EV at a constant rate. This means that the charging speed of your EV will stay consistent from zero to a full tank. However, the DC chargers charge the EV quickly for 80% of the capacity and then slow down for the remaining 20%.

The Final Verdict

Here are the top factors that play an essential role in determining the charging speed of your EV. Moreover, it depends on the model of the EV that you purchase. On top of this, you should keep an eye on the service and maintenance schedules of your vehicle to promote its longevity.