VIDEO: Brevard Sheriff Wayne Ivey’s Weekly Crime Prevention Tip Highlights Protection From Skimmers
By Space Coast Daily // December 31, 2018
avoid becoming a victim to credit card skimmers
ABOVE VIDEO: This week, BCSO take on how to keep from becoming the victim of Credit Card Skimming at the Gas Pump!
BREVARD COUNTY, FLORIDA – The number of consumers victimized by each skimmer is estimated to be about 100 per device, with an average of $1,000 stolen from each victim.
Travelers can take the following steps to avoid skimmers at gas stations:
• Pay in cash inside the store to ensure credit card information stays safe.
• Check to make sure the gas pump dispenser cabinet is closed and has not been tampered with.
• Use a gas pump closer to the front of the store. Thieves often place skimmers at the gas pumps farther away from the store.
• Use a credit card instead of a debit card. Credit cards have better fraud protection, and the money is not deducted immediately from an account.
• If using a debit card at the pump, choose to run it as a credit card instead of putting a PIN number in. That way, the PIN number is safe.
• Monitor bank accounts regularly to spot any unauthorized charges.
• Consumers who suspect their credit card number has been compromised should report it immediately to authorities and their credit card company.
CLICK HERE FOR BREVARD COUNTY NEWS