CYBER MONDAY SCAM ALERT: Beware of Bogus Websites Promising Unbelievable Deals
By Space Coast Daily // November 24, 2018
Use a credit card for online orders
BREVARD COUNTY, FLORIDA – In advance of Cyber Monday, Commissioner Adam H. Putnam has provided these tips to help consumers avoid scams:
• Avoid websites with odd or incorrect spellings of legitimate companies. Domain names that include hyphens are often red flags.
• Beware of bogus websites promising unbelievable deals. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
• Be wary of “delivery failure” or “order confirmation” emails for items you did not order. These may be used to gain a consumer’s personal information.
• Use a credit card for online orders. It is easier to dispute and mediate fraudulent charges with a credit card than a debit card.
• Use strong passwords for credit cards and bank accounts.
Consumers who believe fraud has taken place can contact the department’s consumer protection and information hotline at 1-800-HELP-FLA (435-7352) or, for Spanish speakers, 1-800-FL-AYUDA (352-9832).
CLICK HERE FOR BREVARD COUNTY NEWS