Smoking Ruins Your Health, Also Burns Hole in Your Wallet: Report
By Space Coast Daily // January 10, 2019
Total Cost Over Lifetime per Florida Smoker: $1,724,214.00
(WALLETHUB.COM) – With the economic and societal costs of smoking totaling more than $300 billion a year and rising, the personal-finance website WalletHub today released its report on The Real Cost of Smoking by State as well as accompanying videos.
To encourage the estimated 37.8 million tobacco users in the U.S. to kick the dangerous habit, WalletHub calculated the potential monetary losses — including the lifetime and annual costs of a cigarette pack per day, health care expenditures, income losses and other costs — brought on by smoking and exposure to secondhand smoke.
The Financial Cost of Smoking in Florida (1=Lowest, 25=Avg.):
- Out-of-Pocket Cost per Smoker – $110,759 (Rank: 22nd)
- Financial-Opportunity Cost per Smoker – $1,218,912 (Rank: 22nd)
- Health-Care Cost per Smoker – $169,269 (Rank: 31st)
- Income Loss per Smoker – $207,603 (Rank: 13th)
- Other Costs per Smoker – $17,571 (Rank: 50th)
- Total Cost Over Lifetime per Smoker: $1,724,214
- Total Cost per Year per Smoker: $33,808
CLICK HERE for the full report from WalletHub.com.
CLICK HERE FOR BREVARD COUNTY NEWS