Viera High TV Excels in Florida Scholastic Press Association State and Local Competition
By Space Coast Daily // May 8, 2019
VTV Editorial Leadership Board consists of 12 top TV production students
BREVARD COUNTY • VIERA, FLORIDA – Viera High TV is celebrating one of its best award-winning years in Florida Scholastic Press Association state and local competition.
The 2018-19 VTV Editorial Leadership Board, which consists of 12 top TV production students, has made significant accomplishments among other broadcast journalism programs in the state.
The Florida Scholastic Press Association is the state’s premier journalism organization and Viera High TV has been competing since 2007.
Several of the team’s works have achieved Florida’s Best of the Best and All-Florida, which are the highest awards possible. Viera High TV earned three Best of the Best awards and seven All-Florida awards.
In all, VTV received 25 awards in the spring digitals contest. Among the top are:
- Best of the Best Talent Demo Reel – Ophelie Jacobson
- Best of the Best Leadership Challenge – Ophelie Jacobson
- Best of the Best Portrait Photography Challenge – Madison McClure
- All-Florida News Intro Video – Gavin Keith
- All-Florida News Story – Ophelie Jacobson
- All-Florida Nature Photo – 2 winners (out of 186 photos) – Julia Sivco
- All-Florida Feature Package – Ophelie Jacobson, Gavin Keith, and Jessie Dalheim
- All-Florida Broadcast News Package – Ophelie Jacobson
- All-Florida Photography Challenge – Gavin Keith
The team also performed well at the state competition in On-the-Spot contests, bringing home the following awards:
- First place weather report – Ophelie Jacobson, Gavin Keith, Morgan Ogden, Cole Bennett
- First place Lip Sync Battle – Olivia Byrd, Ophelie Jacobson, Morgan Ogden, Emily Hyde, Victoria Pugliese, Jessie Dalheim, Olivia Roman, Julia Sivco
- Third place podcast – Olivia Byrd, Emily Hyde, Victoria Pugliese
- Honorable Mention Edit to the Beat – Gavin Keith, Cole Bennett, Morgan Ogden, Josiah Cuda
- Honorable Mention Short Story Writing – Emily Hyde
- Honorable Mention Multimedia Coverage – Ophelie Jacobson and Julia Sivco
The theme of this year’s state convention was “Electrify.” In addition to excelling at the competition, the Viera High TV team also presented a professional workshop at the convention titled “How to Electrify Your Audience” discussing all the types of media VTV students produce.
The team shared its best practices, successes and challenges of developing live shows, video series, podcasts, and social media.
In addition to the state competition, the VTV team recently competed at the Brevard Student Film Festival where it garnered first place wins in four of the eight categories possible:
- First place News Story – Brevard Zoo Teens (produced by Ophelie Jacobson, Gavin Keith, and Jessie Dalheim)
- First place Instructional – Nutella Brownies (produced by Julia Sivco)
- First place Show Opening – VTV News (produced by Gavin Keith)
- First place Commercial – Viera Baseball (produced by Gavin Keith)
Viera High TV was established in 2006 by the Career and Technical Education Office of Brevard Public Schools.
Students enrolled in TV Production courses may enroll in the program from one to four years in high school and learn photography, videography, audio production, graphics, writing, editing, on-air talent, social media and Internet live streaming.
Emphasis is placed on students learning real-world skills in live studio production, electronic field production, and video editing. To learn more about Viera High TV and watch their award-winning productions, visit www.VieraHighTV.com
CLICK HERE FOR BREVARD COUNTY NEWS