BREVARD COVID-19 UPDATE: Health First Health Plans Waives COVID-19 Testing Fees
By Space Coast Daily // April 8, 2020
Insurer Working to Ease Members' Financial Challenges During Public Health Crisis
BREVARD COUNTY, FLORIDA – Health First Health Plans is doing its part to help health plan members get the care they need during the COVID-19 public health crisis.
This includes covering COVID-19 testing costs for members, as well as other measures to ease some of the anxiety associated with the pandemic.
“Health First Health Plans understands the significant anxiety created by the COVID-19 pandemic,” said Dr. Richard Baney, Vice President and Chief Medical Officer, Health First Health Plans.
“As we face these challenging times together, please know that Health First Health Plans is working to provide our members the support they need, including reducing some of the financial challenges affecting many in our community.”
If a medical professional determines a patient needs a COVID-19 test, the Health Plan will waive the member’s share of that cost. This would include copayments and coinsurance for all related diagnostic testing.
In addition, on March 10, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) issued a notice related to the Declaration of a Public Health Emergency due to COVID-19.
Health First Health Plans developed policies to ensure that its members have access to their medical and prescription drug benefits in accordance with federal and state regulations while this national and state Public Health Emergency is active:
• Health First Health Plans will permit Medicare Parts A, B and supplemental Part C benefits to be provided at facilities that are not contracted with Health First. (Part A and Part B benefits must be provided at Medicare-certified facilities);
• Health First Health Plans will temporarily reduce out-of-network cost-sharing to in-network-cost sharing amounts, where applicable;
• Health First Health Plans will waive the 30-day notification requirement for benefit changes if the change benefits the enrollee;
• Health First Health Plans will lift the “Refill Too Soon” restrictions or edits for prescription medications to all members to refill prescriptions in advance of a possible interruption;
• Health First will also provide payment to pharmacies for at least a 30-day supply of any prescription medication.
Health First Health Plans is an HMO plan with a Medicare contract. Enrollment in Health First Health Plans depends on contract renewal.
CLICK HERE FOR BREVARD COUNTY NEWS