The Complete Guide to Sales Scripts: How to Write Something That Works

By  //  May 30, 2022

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on LinkedIn Share on Delicious Digg This Stumble This

Sales scripts can be a powerful tool for selling your products or services. They can help you close more deals and make more sales. However, if they’re not written correctly, they can do more harm than good. This blog post will discuss everything you need to know about sales scripts, including how to write something that works for your business!

What is a sales script?

A sales script, in the simplest terms, is a series of guidelines, strategies, and pointers that you use when making a sale. A sales script is flexible, efficient, and above all, allows the user to improvise as per the customer’s response. However, most employees completely overlook the second part and prepare a rigid script that has a word-by-word answer to most common customer questions. As a result, they cannot adapt their response to the customers and create an engaging conversation. And as any sales expert will tell you, making the conversation engaging is crucial if you want to have a shot at making the sale.

So, what is the ideal ratio between scripted and improvisation?

Every business is different, and every salesperson has a different style. And it also largely depends on the customer you are targeting and the product you are selling. However, as a general rule of thumb, you should aim for a 60/40 split. 60% of the conversation should be scripted, while the remaining 40% should be improvised based on the customer’s response. This will allow you to sound natural and not like you’re reading from a script while still having a structure to fall back on if needed. But that is easier said than done.

Writing a sales script that works is a massive undertaking in itself, but updating it to match your customers’ needs is a whole another matter. And while every salesperson needs to learn from experience, certain techniques can be used to write sales scripts that work.

Identify a product or service to focus on: Your business probably has many products and services. Similar to how you can’t order everything at once, you can’t sell every single product in a single call. This is where you need to focus on a single product or service and build your sales script around it. This will help you stay on track and not get sidetracked by other products.

Create a customer persona: To write an effective sales script, you must know who you’re writing it for. This is where creating a customer persona comes in handy. A customer persona is a fictional character that represents your ideal customer. Once you have created your customer persona, you will have a much better understanding of what they want and how to sell them your product or service.

Keep it short and sweet: No one wants to listen to a long sales pitch. Most people tune out after the first few seconds. This is why you need to keep your sales script short and sweet. Get to the point and make it easy for the customer to understand what you’re trying to sell them.

Understand the customers’ pain points: To sell your product or service, you need to understand the customer’s pain points. What are they struggling with that your product or service can help with? This is what you need to focus on in your sales script. Once you have identified the customer’s pain points, you can write a sales script that addresses them and provides a solution.

Sell them a solution and not a product: Remember, the key to making a sale is making your customer believe that you are selling them a solution to a problem that will improve their lives. You need to focus on selling them a solution and not a product. For example, if you’re selling a new type of mop, don’t just tell them about the features of the mop. Instead, focus on how it will make their lives easier by making cleaning quicker and easier.

End with a call to action: Always end your sales script with a call to action. This will prompt the customer to take the next step, whether it’s buying your product or scheduling an appointment. Without a call to action, your sales script will be ineffective.

Update your sales script to match your customers: You can’t keep using a sales script that you developed in 2019. You need to update your sales script regularly to match your customers’ needs. This means constantly testing and tweaking your sales script to see what works and what doesn’t.

The most important thing to remember is that a sales script is not set in stone. It’s a fluid document that should be constantly updated to match your customers’ needs. By following these tips, you can write a sales script that works for your business and helps you close more deals. And if you are having trouble figuring out a sales script and making sales, you can outsource your entire sales process to a company that knows how.