How Many Crew Members Die On Cruise Ships Each Year

By  //  January 30, 2023

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on LinkedIn Share on Delicious Digg This Stumble This

Cruise ships are a prevalent form of vacation and travel. In 2019 alone, the global cruise industry welcomed more than 29 million passengers. With so many passengers and crewmembers in the industry, it’s expected to see a few deaths. That said, dying on a cruise ship does not happen often. 

Even so, cruise ship accidents happen yearly and result in several deaths. However, no single government organization investigates or documents accidents in the way that the FFA does with plane crashes.

If your loved one died on a cruise due to the negligence of the company, the lawyers at Lipcon, Margulies & Winkleman, P.A. can help you file a wrongful death claim. Contact us today to discuss your case.

Trust, accountability, justice, and compassion. That is what our maritime lawyers at Lipcon, Margulies & Winkleman, P.A. bring to the table for crewmember accidents or offshore injury claims.

The Number of Crewmember and Passenger Deaths on Cruise Ships Per Year

Researchers have determined that a total of 623 people died on cruises between 2000 and 2019. Of these fatalities, 66 were crew members, and 557 were passengers. Moreover, 87% of the deaths occurred while on the sea, while the other 13% occurred while the ships were docked. Statistics also show that 97 passengers and crew members died due to cardiac incidents, 72 died due to accidentally falling overboard, and 60 died due to jumping overboard. 

On the other hand, it is believed that an average of 200 deaths occur on cruise ships every year. However, these numbers are not wholly accurate as most ships don’t disclose information about their accidents. While natural causes account for most deaths, a considerable percentage are caused by murders, suicides, and fatal accidents.

What Happens When Someone Dies on a Cruise?

Every cruise ship must carry a supply of body bags and be equipped with a morgue. The size can vary based on the cruise line, but most morgues can hold from three to six bodies. Larger cruise ships can hold more.

Crew members must use codes to prevent passengers from knowing what is happening during health emergencies. Separately, crew members, specially trained professionals, and ministers are available to talk to the family members and friends of the deceased. 

On some ships, small chapels are available for those who want to use them. All deaths on cruise ships must be reported to local authorities. If the ship is from the United States, the deaths will be reported to the US Coast Guard. Most countries have a similar process in place.

Because cruise ship injuries and deaths to crew members and passengers occur frequently, some require the need for legal compensation. There is a maritime law for every accident and issue that protects the passengers and crew members on ships. However, as maritime law can be complex, it is advisable to engage the services of one of our cruise accident attorneys. 

Contact a Lawyer from Lipcon, Margulies & Winkleman, P.A.

Lipcon, Margulies & Winkleman, P.A. represents the families of cruise ship accident victims and injured survivors, nationally and internationally.

We can investigate your offshore injury, maritime employment injury, or maritime accident case and work on your behalf. 

We have been named among the “Best Law Firms” ® by US News & World Report since 2016, and we are proud that US News & World Report has named three of our attorneys among the “Best Lawyers” ® in America. Please call us today at 877-233-1238 to speak with a maritime accident attorney.