Firefighters Extinguish Port St. John Garage Blaze
By Space Coast Daily // August 13, 2012
BREVARD COUNTY • PORT ST. JOHN, FLORIDA – Firefighters extinguished a smoky house fire in a matter of minutes this afternoon in Port St. John.
Lt. Jeff Taylor of Brevard County Fire Rescue said at 3:13 p.m. Monday firefighters responded to reports of a structure fire in the 6800 block of Buxton Avenue in Port St. John.
On arrival at the scene, firefighters reported thick, black smoke coming from the attached garage of a single story home.
Taylor said crews made entry with a hand line through the front door of the home and worked their way to the interior garage door.
“Upon opening the door, firefighters encountered heavy fire conditions in the garage,” Taylor said. “The fire was burning along one wall and extending to the roof of the garage.”
Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire in less than five minutes, containing the fire to the garage. The attic space was investigated for fire extension but was found to be clear.
The fire was reported by an alert neighbor who spotted the smoke.
The home is occupied by a man and his son, a dog, and five cats. All were accounted for.
The homeowner and his son were not home when the fire began, but arrived on scene after being contacted by the neighbor.
The home was equipped with working smoke alarms and is fully insured. Damage is estimated at $15,000.
All animals were accounted for and uninjured, Taylor said.
The residents of the home declined Red Cross assistance.
Officials have determined that the fire was caused by an electrical issue near a work bench in the garage, possibly from a fan used to cool the work space.
A fire crew from Titusville Fire and Emergency Services assisted at the scene and no injuries were reported.