Fire Causes $425,000 Damage In Canaveral Groves
By Space Coast Daily // March 4, 2013
Electrical Issue Likely Cause
BREVARD COUNTY • CANAVERAL GROVES, FLORIDA – An electrical issue likely caused a two-alarm fire that killed a pregnant horse and caused more than $425,000 in damages at a Canaveral Groves home and horse breeding facility on Sunday.
Lt. Jeff Taylor of Brevard County Fire Rescue said units were dispatched just after 2 p.m. Sunday to the home at 5400 Calamondin Avenue in Canaveral Groves for reports of a structure fire.
Officials believe that the fire began inside a breeding stable then quickly spread to a nearby horse trailer containing more than 200 bales of hay.
Heavy west winds pushed the intense heat and flames from the fire toward the main residence, igniting the home’s roof.
Taylor said that when firefighters arrived on scene, all three structures were heavily involved in fire and a defensive fire attack was initiated.
Additional crews from BCFR, Cape Canaveral Fire Department, Rockledge Fire Department and Cocoa Fire Department were called in to assist as flying embers lit nearby trees and brush on fire.
The fire was reported by two men who were working at the site.
Residents of the home were away at a horse show and when they received notification of the incident they returned to the scene.
Fire officials said the home, stable, and trailer were insured.
Friends and neighbors are assisting the victims with immediate needs, including hay and equipment needed to care for nearly a dozen other horses that were uninjured. The Red Cross also is assisting.
A pregnant mare, due to give birth to a foal this week, was housed inside the breeding stable and did not survive.
Bystanders attempted to rescue the horse from the burning structure, but had to abandon attempts as the fire grew and portions of the roof began to collapse around them.
More than 35 firefighters were called to the scene to battle the blaze, Taylorr said.
One firefighter suffered a minor finger injury, but is doing well. No other injuries were reported.