Fire Prevention Week Set For Oct. 6-12
By Space Coast Daily // October 3, 2013
Mayor capote will make proclamation today
ABOVE IMAGE: Cooking fires are among the leading cause of home fire-related injuries. In 2012, Palm Bay firefighters responded to285 fire incidents in the city, 67 of those incidents involved structure fires.
BREVARD COUNTY — Palm Bay Mayor William Capote will officially recognize the city’s participation in National Fire Prevention Week with a special proclamation at today’s regular meeting of the city council.
National Fire Prevention Week is October 6-12 and is an effort to draw attention to fire safety. This year’s campaign is focused on preventing kitchen fires, the leading cause of home fires in the country.
According to the National Fire Protection Agency (NFPA), two of every five home fires begin in the kitchen—more than any other place in the home.
PALM BAY RESPONDED TO 285 FIRES IN 2012
Cooking fires are also the leading cause of home fire-related injuries. In 2012, Palm Bay firefighters responded to 285 fire incidents in the city, 67 of those incidents involved structure fires.
“Often when we are called to a fire that started in the kitchen, the resident tells us that they only left the kitchen for a few minutes,” said Battalion Chief Gene Harrell.
“Sadly, that’s all it takes for a dangerous fire to start. We hope this safety and awareness campaign reaches people and prevents a tragic incident.”
PALM BAY FIRE & THE NFPA SAFETY TIPS:
· Stay in the kitchen when frying, grilling, broiling, or boiling food
· If you must leave the room, even for a short period of time, turn off the stove
· When simmering, baking, or roasting food, check it regularly, stay in the home and use a timer as a reminder
· If young children are present, use the stove’s back burners whenever possible. Keep children and pets at least three feet away from the stove.
· When cooking, wear clothing with tight fitting sleeves.
· Keep potholders, oven mitts, wooden utensils, paper and plastic bags, towels and anything else that can burn, away from your stovetop.
· Clean up food and grease from burners and stovetops.