National Hurricane Center: Hurricane Joaquin Now Labeled Category 4
By NHC // October 1, 2015
NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER – Hurricane Joaquin has become an extremely dangerous Category 4 Hurricane. Central Bahamas will experience hurricane force winds and heavy rain throughout the night.
• Max Sustained winds estimated at 130 mph.
• Cell is moving southwest at 6 mph
• Expected to move north Friday heading into Saturday
• Joaquin’s center is located about 70 miles south-southeast of San Salvador in the central Bahamas
• Air Force Reserve Hurricane Hunter reconnaissance aircraft flying through Hurricane Joaquin Thursday morning found estimated surface winds at roughly 135 mph, in the southwestern eyewall’s deep thunderstorms.