Sunshine State Conference Hall of Fame To Induct Florida Tech’s Fidgi Haig In March
By Florida Tech // February 11, 2016
ABOVE VIDEO: Former Florida Tech men’s soccer player and head women’s soccer coach Fidgi Haig will be inducted into the Sunshine State Conference Hall of Fame on Saturday, March 5. Haig was inducted into the Florida Tech Sports Hall of Fame in 2013 and the Space Coast Sports Hall of Fame in 2015. Haig passed away at 47 years old in April 2015.
BREVARD COUNTY • MELBOURNE, FLORIDA – Former Florida Tech men’s soccer player and head women’s soccer coach Fidgi Haig will be inducted into the Sunshine State Conference Hall of Fame on Saturday, March 5.
The induction ceremony and a brunch will begin at 9:30 a.m. at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University’s Henderson Administration and Welcome Center.
Embry-Riddle is the host of the 2016 SSC Basketball Championship Semifinals and Finals that are scheduled for March 5-6 at the ICI Center in Daytona Beach, Florida.
Haig is one of nine inductees in the 2016 class. Also being honored are Laurent Lamothe (Barry, tennis), Steve Balboni (Eckerd, baseball), Sarah Kohlbrenner (Florida Southern, softball), Declan Link (Rollins, soccer), Eric Beattie (Tampa, baseball), Bryan Cook (Nova Southeastern, baseball), Shaun Pendleton (Lynn, soccer) and Dave Garcia (Saint Leo, baseball). Haig and Pendleton will be inducted posthumously.
“We are honored to induct these distinguished student-athletes and coaches into the Sunshine State Conference Hall of Fame,” said Ed Pasque, SSC Commissioner.
“These nine individuals represent some of the best in the history of this great conference.”
The SSC Hall of Fame was founded in 1991 to honor those persons who have made outstanding contributions to the conference. Its purpose is to perpetuate the memory of those who brought distinction, honor and excellence to the SSC.
The charter class was inducted in 1992 with 22 individuals honored. This year’s class brings the number of SSC Hall of Fame inductees to 197 individuals from 22 classes.
Tickets are available for the SSC Hall of Fame Brunch and Celebration. Contact Maryanne Simkulak, Sunshine State Conference Assistant Commissioner at 216-566-4622. Space is limited, and tickets must be purchased no later than Feb. 22, 2016.
Fidgi Haig | Florida Tech | 1987-90 Men’s Soccer Player | 2005-15 Women’s Soccer Coach
– SSC Champion-1988
– SSC Co-Champion-1989 (Player), 2010 (Coach)
– All SSC First Team-1987, 1988, All SSC Second Team-1989
– NCAA Division II National Champion Men’s Soccer- 988
– South Region Champion-1988, 1990 (Player), 2010 (Coach)
– NSCAA All-South Region First Team-1987, 1990
– FISCA All-State First Team-1987, 1989
– 45 goals and 18 assists for 108 points in 58 games played
– Florida Tech Sports Hall of Fame and Space Coast Sports Hall of Fame inductee-2013
– Final coaching record: 97-59-26
– Coached Satellite High School to two state championships in 2002, 2003
– Finished with a record of 231-18-8 (.914 winning percentage)
– U.S. Youth Adidas Soccer National Coach of the Year-2005
– Haitian Olympic Team-1983-85
– Haitian National Team-1985-94
– Club Sportif St. Louis-1984-87
– Orlando Lions-1992-94