Titusville Police Give Motorists Tips On How to Drive In Adverse Weather Conditions
By Titusville Police Department // August 30, 2016
First and foremost: slow down
BREVARD COUNTY, FLORIDA – “Traffic Tip Tuesday”…Tips for driving in the rain as adverse weather may be coming our way.
• First and foremost: slow down! It takes longer to stop or adjust in wet weather.
• Stay toward the middle lanes – water tends to pool in the outside lanes.
• Maintain proper following distance (3 Second Rule). This needs to be increased in wet weather.
• Drive in the tracks of a car ahead of you.
• Don’t follow large trucks or busses too closely. The spray created by their large tires reduces your vision. Take care when passing them as well; if you must pass, do so quickly and safely.
• Be more alert when driving in wet or slippery conditions. Watch out for brake lights in front of you.
• Avoid using your brakes; if possible, take your foot off the accelerator to slow down.
• Turn your headlights on even in a light rain, or in gloomy, foggy or overcast conditions. Not only do they help you see the road, but they’ll help other drivers see you. If your car has daytime running lights you still should put them on, so vehicles behind you can see you better.