Cocoa Tigers Remain Atop Bright House Sports Top 20 High School Football Teams
By Space Coast Daily // October 5, 2016
two top 10 battles Fri. involving 3 brevard teams
BREVARD COUNTY, FLORIDA – Take a good look at this week’s Bright House Sports Network Top 20 high school football teams in Central Florida, next week, the poll could look very different.
Following a Friday where severe weather forced nearly every high school football game in Brevard County to be delayed or postponed, the county remains well represented in the Bright House Sports Top 20 poll.
The four teams that represent the county in Central Florida are the Melbourne Central Catholic Hustlers (No.14), the Palm Bay Pirates (No. 9), the Viera Hawks (No.8) and the top ranked Cocoa Tigers.
Cocoa has been ranked No.1 since the first poll of the season. However, all of the ranked Brevard teams are on a collision course with reality seven weeks into the season this Friday night. Three Brevard team face off in top 10 battles and the fourth plays a team without a loss.
The Cocoa Tigers will put their 18 game regular season home win streak on the line against unbeaten and No. 2 ranked, Mainland this Friday in one of two power games being broadcast by the Friday Night Locker Room right here on Space Coast Daily.
The Buccaneers and Tigers matchup will display two of Florida’s top college prospects. Mainland quarterback and Western Michigan commit, Denzel Houston and Tigers signal caller Bruce Judson, who committed to the University of the South Florida.
Both will look to outshine the other in the battle of the top two ranked teams in the poll.
Mainland is 6-0 but has not played the tough schedule the Tigers have endured. Cocoa is 3-1 with a win over then nationally ranked Trinity Christian and their only loss came to the No.1 ranked team in the country, Bishop Gorman High School in Las Vegas.
The Friday Night Locker Room will also bring you another Top 10 battle as The 4-2 Viera Hawks travel to play the unbeaten 5-0 Palm Bay Pirates.
ABOVE VIDEO: No.8 Viera takes on Palm Bay Friday night. Head Coach Kevin Mays speaks with Space Coast Daily / Friday Night Locker Room following big win over Melbourne Bulldogs last Friday Night.
Viera’s young offense will face a Pirates defense that has only allowed 26 points, pitched three straight shutouts (Weeks 2-5) and has allowed just six points in their last four games.
The undefeated MCC Hustlers have a tough two weeks ahead. This Friday they travel to Lakeland to play the also unbeaten Lakeland Christian Vikings and next week will host district foe John Carroll.
Led by quarterback Joaquin Collazo, the Hustlers are averaging 48 points per game. The junior signal caller leads Brevard County in just about every passing category. He has amassed 1,629 passing yards, 21 touchdowns and just three interceptions.
Here are this week’s Top 20 teams in Central Florida:
1. Cocoa (3-1) – Tigers put their 18 game regular season home win streak on the line against unbeaten Mainland this Friday on BHSN.
2. Mainland (6-0) – Bucs have scored 35 or more in every game this season heading into Friday’s showdown against Cocoa on BHSN.
3. Apopka (6-0) – After losing to West Orange twice last season, the Blue Darters blasted the Warriors 49-14 on Friday night.
4. Seminole (5-0) – D.J. Hampton scored four touchdowns and ran for 280 yards as the ‘Noles got past Lake Brantley 35-28 in a key 8A, District 2 game.
5. Osceola (6-0) – Kowboys executed a reverse pass with Da’Nas Pinellas throwing to Braxton Jones for the game-winning touchdown in a dramatic 27-26 win over Ridge Community.
6. Dr. Phillips (4-2) – Bye week for the Panthers comes after a dominating 45-0 victory against Oak Ridge.
7. Bishop Moore (4-1) – C.J. McNeal set the tone for Friday’s game against South Lake, scoring on the first play from scrimmage in a 47-0 win.
8. Viera (4-2) – Hawks ripped off 31 unanswered points to run away from Melbourne for a 52-16 victory.
9. Palm Bay (5-0) – Pirates host Viera this week looking to defeat the Hawks for the second consecutive season.
10. Jones (4-0) – Tigers have Central Florida’s top scoring offense averaging 50.3 points per game.
11. South Sumter (5-0) – For the second straight season, Raiders are undefeated heading into a Week 7 matchup against Bishop Moore.
12. Wekiva (4-2) – Mustangs are off this week as they prepare to face rival Apopka next Friday night.
13. Hagerty (4-1) – Huskies suffered their first loss, 20-13 to Ocoee, in a game pushed back to Saturday because of bad weather.
13. Matanzas (4-0) – Friday’s game against New Smyrna Beach was postponed and will be played Monday night at 7.
14. Melbourne Central Catholic (5-0) – Quarterback Joaquin Collazo has thrown for 21 touchdowns and just three interceptions for the Hustlers.
15. Lake Mary (3-2) – Rams are averaging 49.6 points per game during three game win streak.
16. Orange City University (4-2) – Titans are 1-2 in the district but not out of the chase to make the playoffs.
17. Winter Park (4-2) – Wildcats are in control of 8A, District 3 after Jonathan Griffin-Heard’s Pick Six lifted them to a 7-0 win against Timber Creek.
18. Timber Creek (4-2) – Wolves defense didn’t allow a point but it wasn’t enough as they dropped a key district game to Winter Park.
19. Deltona (4-2) – Losses for the Wolves came against Orange City University and Mainland.
20. Ocoee (4-2) – Back-to-back wins against East Ridge and Hagerty thrusts Knights to the top of the 7A, District 4 standings.
CLICK HERE FOR MORE BREVARD COUNTY SPORTS