Former Florida QB Tim Tebow To Be Inducted Into Florida Sports Hall of Fame In November
By Will Pantages, Florida Gators // September 28, 2017
Enshrinement set for Nov. 8 in Ponte Vedra
ABOVE VIDEO: Tim Tebow Talks Baseball and Following Your Dreams.
GAINESVILLE, FLORIDA (Florida Gators) – Gator Great Tim Tebow is one of five distinguished honorees who will make up the 2017 class elected to the Florida Sports Hall of Fame.
Other members of the class include Warrick Dunn (football), Larry “Chipper” Jones (baseball), Tim Finchem (PGA Tour Commissioner) and Coleen Walker (LPGA).
“Without question, this is one of the most talented, eclectic and accomplished classes in Florida Sports Hall of Fame history,” said Florida Sports Hall of Fame President Barry Smith.
“The contributions these individuals have made within their chosen sport, to their communities, the nation and indeed on a worldwide stage, demand recognition and we are honored to welcome them as the newest members of the Florida Sports Hall of Fame.”
Tebow, who’s perhaps the most decorated athlete in college football history, helped the Florida Gators win two BCS Championships and was named the Heisman Trophy winner in 2007.
– First sophomore to ever win the Heisman Trophy, the Sullivan Award, the Davey O’Brien Award and the Maxwell Award (2007)
– First sophomore in UF history to be named an All-American (2007)
– First UF quarterback to be named an All-American since Rex Grossman in 2001
– First UF player to be named a first-team Academic All-American selection (2007) in over a decade
– Second player to repeat as Maxwell Award winner in 2007 and 2008
– First scholar-athlete to be named the ESPN The Magazine Academic All-America of the Year for University Division Football in two consecutive years
– 20th Anniversary William V. Campbell Trophy winner (2009)
– Three-time Heisman Trophy finalist
– Two-time SEC Offensive Player of the Year (2007 & 2009)
– At the conclusion of his college career, Tebow held the Southeastern Conference’s all-time records in both career passing efficiency and total rushing touchdowns, appearing second and 10th (respectively) in the NCAA record book in these categories.
– Tebow posted a career 35-6 record at Florida and posted an SEC-record 170.8 career pass efficiency rating
– Finished his college career with five NCAA, 14 SEC and 28 UF records
– First player in NCAA history to rush and pass for at least 20 touchdowns in a season
– Fourth Florida quarterback ever taken in the first round when the Denver Broncos selected him with the 25th choice in the 2010 draft
Tebow would go on to play three years in the NFL, compiling an 8-6 record as a starter for the Denver Broncos in 2011 and currently plays professional baseball in the New York Mets organization.
He is also an analyst for the SEC Network.
Tebow is also well-known for his philanthropic efforts. As a student at Florida, he founded “First and 15,” an organization that raised funds for an orphanage in the Philippines. He launched the Tim Tebow Foundation in January 2010, with the stated mission of bringing Faith, Hope and Love to those needing a brighter day in their darkest hour of need.
Tebow also created “A Night to Shine,” to provide a prom night experience to special needs teenagers. “A Night to Shine” has become a global event with more than 300 satellite proms occurring in 11 countries.
In 2013, Tebow was designated a Great Floridian by Florida Governor Rick Scott in recognition of his “major contributions to the progress and welfare” of Florida.
The Florida Sports Hall of Fame recognizes and honors Florida’s greatest sports figures and leverages this collective celebrity to promote fitness awareness, education and sports activities among our state’s youth and adults. Equally important is the promotion of the qualities of discipline and honor among sports participants. To be considered for induction into the Hall, a candidate must have either been born in the state of Florida or had significant portion of their careers occur within the state of Florida.
Founded in 1961 by the Florida Sportswriters and Florida Sportscasters Associations, the Florida Sports Hall of Fame has inducted 248 members.
This year’s class will be officially inducted into the Hall at an Enshrinement Dinner on Nov. 8 at the Sawgrass Marriott Golf Resort and Spa in Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla. with a portion of the event proceeds benefitting hurricane and flood relief in Florida.
For sponsorship and ticket information, please visit www.FlasportsHOF.org
CLICK HERE FOR BREVARD COUNTY NEWS