TRAFFIC ALERT: Major Repairs to State Road 528 Overpass at I-95 Set to Start This Week
By Space Coast Daily // April 29, 2019
State Road 528 overpass at I-95 sustained considerable damage when a semi-truck hit bridge
BREVARD COUNTY, FLORIDA – Drivers next week need to be alert to the beginning of major repairs to an overpass above Interstate 95 in Brevard County.
This emergency repair project will affect traffic on both I-95 and the State Road 528 bridge over the interstate.
Repair work will require the total closure of I-95’s northbound lanes, detours, as well as lane restrictions on State Road 528 near I-95 for the safety of crews and the traveling public.
The State Road 528 overpass at I-95 sustained considerable damage on the morning of March 29 when a semi-truck hauling construction equipment hit the bridge beams as it passed northbound under State Road 528.
This incident caused the full closure of the interstate until temporary repairs could be made to the bridge. Work crews were able to safely re-open the interstate by that same night.
Upcoming traffic changes are a part of permanent repairs to this bridge, which are estimated to cost more than $750,000, and includes replacing a bridge beam that is more than 120 feet long.
Detours will be well marked. Motorists are advised to slow down and follow posted detour signs. Motorists may also want to plan ahead and add some extra time to their drive.
PLANNED OVERPASS REPAIR SCHEDULE
Partial I-95 Closure, Northbound I-95 Closed at State Road 528
• Tuesday, April 30, 8 p.m.to 6 a.m. and Wednesday, May 1, 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
– Northbound I-95 drivers will be directed to take Exit 205A to eastbound S.R. 528 to the U.S.1 and S.R. 528 interchange where drivers will exit eastbound State Road 528 to get on northbound U.S. 1 to gain access to westbound State Road 528 to travel back to I-95 where the northbound access ramp will be open.
Lane Closures: Eastbound S.R. 528, west of I-95
• Monday, April 29 and Thursday, May 16, 8 p.m. to 6 a.m.
– Single lane closures on eastbound State Road 528 beginning west of the I-95 interchange to install and remove a temporary barrier wall and place temporary striping.
Northbound I-95 at the State Road 528 Interchange
• Tuesday, April 30 – Sunday, May 5 and Saturday, May 11 – Friday, May 17, 7 p.m. to 6 a.m.
– Single and double lane closures for emergency repairs.
Eastbound State Road 528 to northbound I-95 continuous ramp closure Monday, April 29, for approximately three weeks. Drivers looking to head northbound on I-95 from eastbound State Road 528 will be directed to continue on State Road 528 eastbound to the U.S. 1 and State Road 528 interchange where drivers will exit eastbound State Road 528 to get on northbound U.S. 1 to gain access to westbound State Road 528 to travel back to I-95 where the northbound access ramp will be open. Please the above detour route.
Southbound I-95 to eastbound State Road 528 continuous ramp closure
• Monday, April 29, for approximately three weeks.
– Drivers looking to head eastbound on S.R. 528 should take Exit 202 (S.R. 524 eastbound) to Industry Road where access to eastbound S.R. 528 will be open. Please see attached, detour route 2.
Northbound I-95 to westbound S.R. 528 multiple, continuous nighttime ramp closures
• Monday, April 29 – Sunday, May 5 and Saturday, May 11 – Friday, May 17, 8 p.m. to 6 a.m.
– Drivers looking to head westbound on State Road 528 should take Exit 205A (State Road 528 eastbound) to the U.S. 1 and State Road 528 interchange where drivers will exit eastbound State Road 528 to get on northbound U.S. 1 to gain access to westbound State Road 528.
Please note schedules may change due to weather or other circumstances. Electronic message boards and other signage will help to direct motorists.
FDOT urges motorist to please drive carefully through construction zones.
STAY TUNED TO SPACE COAST DAILY FOR UPDATES
CLICK HERE FOR BREVARD COUNTY NEWS