Designing A Custom Bedroom With Unique Bedding: Things To Consider
By Space Coast Daily // May 28, 2019
Your bedroom will never be complete without bedding. Bedding is essential for you to be comfortable and relaxed in bed. Depending on your preferences, you can choose to use bedding in thick or thin fabrics, which can ultimately improve the quality of your sleep.
However, if you want to have a bedroom that’s different from everybody else’s, you should work on designing a custom bedroom and use unique bedding. Using unique bedding is like hitting two birds with one stone as it can improve the functionality and overall appearance of your bedroom.
Because of the variety of unique bedding available in the market today, you’ll have plenty of unique decorating options for your bedroom . Regardless if you’re someone who’s into minimalism or thinking out of the box, there will always be unique bedding that fits your needs. To help you narrow down your search, here are some things to consider when designing a custom bedroom with unique bedding:
1. Splurge a bit.
There’s nothing really wrong if you want to use DIY solutions for your customized bedroom. If you can achieve your desired bedroom look without spending too much, good. You can allocate your money to other home improvement ideas. However, when it comes to your bedding, you shouldn’t be too cheap. When you’re too skimpy on your budget, you might end up buying bedding that has low quality. As a result, you won’t be able to have some shut-eye every night. You’ll be losing sleep because you’re too focused on the price of the bedding rather than its quality. This is one of the most obvious reasons why you should learn to splurge a bit when it comes to your bedding.
2. Check the thread count of the bedding.
Because you will be using your bedroom for rest and relaxation, comfort should be one of your top priorities when choosing bedding—and you can enjoy comfortable bedding once you take the time to check its thread count. If you want bedding that has a crisp and cool feel, look for ones that have 400 single prick percale sheet. The thread count of the bedding is solely your preference so make sure that you find one that meets your qualifications.
3. Determine what material are you comfortable in using.
As mentioned, you’ll have a wide variety of options when it comes to buying your bedding. You can find this product from any local department store in your area and even through the internet. Similar to the thread count of your bedding, choosing the material of your bedding is up to your personal preference as well. To help you decide, here are some materials commonly used for bedding:
- Cotton: When it comes to bedding, this material is considered to be of the highest quality, as well as the most expensive. One hundred percent Egyptian, cotton has staple fibers that are extra-long, which can produce very durable sheets.
- Pima or Supima cotton: Because of its affordability, this material is slowly becoming everyone’s favorite. Its staple fibers can range from medium to extra-long, creating a soft and sheer look.
- Linen: If you live in an area that is usually hot, bedding made from linen is the perfect choice for you. Although bedding made from linen can be expensive, it’s still an excellent investment because this bedding can last for a long time. It’s also very breathable, allowing you to be comfortable even when the weather is too humid.
- Poly-blend sheets: Most people understand that no matter how they care for their bedding, it can still get wrinkled. But if you hate seeing wrinkles, look for poly-blend sheets as these are easy to use and resistant to wrinkles.
- Silk: Silk can last for a long time if you know how to properly care for it. Bedding made from this material can be perfect if you’re living in a usually cold area or if you easily get cold at night. Silk is one of the best materials to maintain warmth.
4. Carefully choose a pattern for your bedding.
Customizing your bedroom is actually an easy and enjoyable task. Since this is your bedroom, you can have the liberty to do anything you want with it. However, since your goal is to improve how your bedroom looks, you have to be careful about the pattern of the bedding you choose to buy.
All of your effort to upgrade your bedroom will be useless if you end up buying bedding that is completely different from the theme of your room.
Here are some tips to help you choose the perfect pattern for your bedding:
- Always have a plan: If this is your first time to give your bedroom a makeover, you can ask for recommendations from your own social circle and the internet for ideas. These sources can surely give you plenty to try out. But as you’re looking through these sources, don’t forget to have a plan. Decide which bedroom you would like to copy, what materials you would want your bedding to have, and how much money you are willing to spend for all of these. Having a plan is necessary as this can guide you on what you should do and shouldn’t do. It’ll also be easier for you to check any progress if you know what you’re doing.
- Decide between solid colored or patterned bedding: You can buy bedding in solid colors or patterns. Each of these designs has its own set of pros and cons so you should know how to weigh all of these carefully.
Using solid colored bedding allows you to have a simple yet elegant bedroom. Your bedroom will look and feel like a luxurious hotel room once you use solid colored bedding. It can also help you create a zen-like and relaxing space, perfect for when you want to relieve yourself from stress after a hard day’s work.
If you want to create texture with solid colored bedding, follow a monochromatic color scheme. This means choosing a main color for your bedding and then layering it with darker and lighter hues of the same color. If you like, you can consider the overall theme of your bedroom to decide which solid color to get for your bedding.
Patterned bedding, on the other hand, also has its own benefits. If your bedroom has soft palettes or hues, using patterned bedding in bold prints or loud colors can create the perfect balance.
You can even use bedding with a floral pattern that incorporates the color of the room for consistency.
- Decide between going matchy-matchy or eclectic: If you don’t want to be burdened in deciding what blanket goes with your pillowcases and duvet covers, buy bedding that are in matching prints or colors. You can now buy bedding that comes in a set, which can be a godsend if you want to save time and money in customizing your bedroom. But on the other side of the coin, if these matching prints are too much for you, opt to create your own bed ensemble. Although this can be time-consuming, all of your efforts will be worth it once you see how unique your bedding and bedroom is. One general rule you can follow is to use one or two complementing colors throughout your bedding set. If you want to have a bed skirt that is striped and a blanket in floral prints, go ahead and do it. Just make sure that these patterns have the same or similar colors to create fluidity and coherence.
- Going all white is a good idea: Customizing your bedroom doesn’t have to be a struggle. If you want an easy solution, think about going all white in your bedroom. This color is one of the most basic in the color wheel, making it easy for you to buy pillowcases, blankets, and duvet covers in this color. Contrary to popular belief, having an all-white bedroom will not look boring and dull as long as you know how to use different textures properly.
- Work on your accents: You don’t only want your bedding to be comfortable—you would also want it to look good along with the other elements in your bedroom. For you to achieve this goal, choose one color from your bedding and highlight it in different ways around your bedroom. If your bedding is in color blue, add accent pillows, a water carafe, and side tables in the same colors. These accents, no matter how small, can tie the design of your bedroom together.
5. Assess the seasonality of the bedding.
As someone who has his or her own bedroom, you would always want this space to look good all year-round. You don’t want to fully relax in your bedroom this month and be stressed about how unorganized it is after a few weeks. To ensure that your bedroom will look good all the time, consider the seasonality of the bedding you’re eyeing to buy.
Are the prints of the bedding appropriate for summer, winter, and autumn? Are you planning to change it every season or are you going to mix and match this bedding with items you currently have? Checking the seasonality of the bedding is vital because it can help you determine how you are going to style your bedroom and how much money you actually need to achieve a certain goal.
6. Try new bedding trends.
Everything in this world changes—and that includes bedding trends. If you don’t have any idea on how you can start to customize your bedroom by using unique bedding, check the new trends today.
You can use pillowcases in different colors and prints, throw in some decorative rugs in your beds, or use blankets that can become the focal point of your bedroom. You’ll have different trends to try out today so make sure to do your own research before starting the process.
7. Buy a duvet cover which that ties in the corners.
Your bed and bedding will be used for sleeping. No matter how you want everything to look good, once you sleep in it at night, expect that it will look different the moment you wake up.
You’ll be twisting and turning when you sleep. To help you enjoy your bedding even in the early hours of the morning, buy a duvet cover that has ties in the corners. This feature is one way of keeping your bedding in place regardless of how often you move during your sleep.
8. Purchase bedding that will stand the test of time.
Anything you buy for your bedroom should be your investment. You should only buy an item that will benefit you today and in the coming years. You should have the same notion when you’re buying your bedding. As much as possible, you should buy one that is durable and can be washed easily.
Although the price is an important factor when buying, it shouldn’t be your sole deciding factor. Sure, you might buy cheap bedding today, but because it’ll only last for a couple of months, you’ll need to buy more sets in the future. This can result in more stress and costs.
9. Test it out before buying.
Usually, stores that sell bedding offer sample sets. They will typically have a bed with the bedding you’re planning to buy displayed in the store. If you want to know if the bedding is comfortable enough for your preferences, take the time to test it out before buying. Run your hands in the bedding to give you a better idea on how it will feel once it’s already used in your bed. Although the overall look of your bedding is essential, it shouldn’t be the only thing you’ll think about before buying.
Care For Your Bedding
With the right bedding, your bedroom will look luxurious and unique without having to break the bank. But if you want to maintain this look over time, you should know how to care for your bedding and be consistent with your efforts. You should regularly clean your bedding and always follow the manufacturer’s instructions when laundering it.
CLICK HERE FOR BREVARD COUNTY NEWS