What is a Pistol Crossbow and Top Reasons You Need to Buy One?
By Space Coast Daily // December 3, 2019
Most of you have seen a pistol and a crossbow as 2 separate things meant for shooting purposes. But, how many of you have seen a pistol crossbow? Although the name has “pistol” in it, it does not involve using bullets.
Pistol crossbows are small sized crossbows that have self-cocking feature.
It is meant for a backyard target practice or hunting small games. Pistol crossbows are normally made from fiberglass and strong plastic.
These usually feature an average draw weight of around 80 pounds and have an average firing speed of up to 165 feet/second.
Common features that you will normally find in a pistol crossbow is the rugged grip, as well as, a self-cocking mechanism, which makes it very simple and safe to use it. Loading a pistol crossbow is also quite simple.
All you need to do is pull down the pivoting arm lever that will automatically engage the safety feature of the product.
What to Look for In a Pistol Crossbow?
There are several types of pistol crossbows in the market. Choosing the right one for your personal use is rather important, especially when it comes to hunting and also target practicing.
There are some specific features you need to consider when you shop for such a hunting equipment. Some of these features have been discussed below to help you choose the best possible pistol crossbow within your budget.
- Self-Cocking Feature: A pistol crossbow without a self-cocking feature is basically useless. This feature makes it pretty simple for you to use the pistol crossbow. All you need to do is pull back the bow and just fire. Choosing a pistol crossbow with this feature is especially important if you are new at using such an equipment.
- The Draw Weight: When you talk about the draw weight of a pistol crossbow, it basically refers to the weight you have when you pull back the crossbow’s bow. The further you pull it, to greater will be the weight until it reaches the maximum. It is needless to say that higher loads can easily make bolts fly a great distance in case you wish to get a powerful shot. Thus, better look for a pistol crossbow that comes with a higher draw weight. Normally, draw weights range from 50 pounds to 200 pounds in pistol crossbows. Thus, it is important that you always remember the amount of draw weight that will be the best for you.
- Additional Supplies: You will come across several pistol crossbows that come with various types of supplies such as extra string, bolts, and string wax. Since not every pistol crossbow will provide you with these supplies, it is better to check for the supplies that comes with your crossbow. This will help you understand what all extra goodies you will need to buy separately.
- Scope: If you compare different types of pistol crossbows, you will notice that all of them have some sort of aiming mechanism fitted. Although some of the pistol crossbows come with a pre-equipped scope, most of these aiming mechanisms are in the form of sight. A good and effective view can do wonders when it comes to target practice. However, if you wish to use your crossbow for hunting purposes, it is better to opt for one that comes with a scope. It is needless to say that scopes can easily enhance your accuracy, irrespective of the distance, significantly. It is always better to check the type of scope that you get with your mini crossbow. It will also be a good idea to gain as much knowledge as possible when it comes to using the scope and how to swap the sight.
- Pre-Assembled or Not: Some of the pistol crossbows do come pre-assembled. However, this is not true for every model that is available in the market. The ones that normally do not are normally hit and miss when it comes to directions. You will come across several models that very clearly explain the right procedure to put your crossbow together. However, there are some that can leave you utterly frustrated and confused. If it is the first time for you to purchase a pistol crossbow, it will be a good idea to go for a pre-assembled one.
Price: If a pistol crossbow comes with a heavy price tag, it does not mean that it is a better product than other models in the market. Although the prices of pistol crossbows are always cheaper than the right crossbows, there is still some significant ranges in their prices.
The ones that come with a higher price tag provide better precision and range. However, they still have the same features as the cheaper models.
For beginners, opting for an affordable one is always suggested. It will have everything that you will need in a pistol crossbow.