Brevard Public Schools, Brevard Federation of Teachers Discuss Teacher Compensation
By Space Coast Daily // September 29, 2020
BREVARD COUNTY, FLORIDA – Brevard Public Schools and the Brevard Federation of Teachers (BFT) held talks today regarding teacher compensation.
During the late afternoon contract talks, BPS and BFT discussed the district’s most recent offer.
BPS’ latest offer on Monday would bring the minimum teacher salary to $46,550.
The district prioritized a compensation correction to ranks of teachers the state did not include in the minimum teacher salary classification. This would mean teaching staff with the same credentials, yet differing assignments, would be raised to the new minimum salary of $46,550.
This commitment comes with a cost of almost $1 million to the district.
The district’s offer would mean, along with the state’s Teacher Salary Allocation, 45% of teachers would get at least a 2% raise and 55% of teachers would get a 1.35% raise.
The district’s current offer to teachers (commitment in compensation and benefits)
– Health Insurance Recurring Increase to Board Contribution: $3,055,000
– Health Insurance One-Time Infusion from Fund Balance: $3,250,000
– Health Insurance Premium Reduction: $260,000
– Supplement Corrections: $92,803
– Teacher Salary Increase Allocation Correction (District Contribution): $980,487
– Parental Leave (Five Days with Pay): $115,000
– Total District Compensation and Benefits Contributions: $7,753,290
– Total State Compensation and Benefits Contributions: $11,366,243
– Combined District and State Contributions: $19,119,533
During tonight’s negotiations the district agreed to add more than $21,000 to pay mentor teachers.
Also, it is important to know that before this year, health insurance premiums have not risen in six years. Despite this year’s premium increase, there remains a health plan option that would not raise a participant’s premium.
Over the past several weeks BPS has made significant progress towards a new deal with the union. While no contract agreement was reached today, the district will continue to negotiate in good faith.
The next bargaining session is scheduled for October 7.
CLICK HERE FOR BREVARD COUNTY NEWS