7 Tips for Garage Doors Maintenance
By Space Coast Daily // April 14, 2021
On the front of the house, the first thing that stands out is the garage door. It is the entrance that allows direct access to the home, without getting out of the car, which is very safe and easy.
It is the main reason to have an efficient garage door that allows having the correct operation of the garage door and its opener at all times.
The useful life of such an important element as the garage door is duly extended simply by complying with a basic maintenance routine, which allows the opener and all its components to function very well and for much longer.
Basic Tips for your Garage Door
The maintenance of the garage door is a very easy and cheap way to avoid its wear and tear, as it is necessary to include the lubrication and balancing of the door every month and also.
Certain steps must be taken into account so that the door system remains as new in the garage, following the main recommendations of the garage door repair company:
1. It is necessary to test the balance, lubricate the rollers, bearings, and chains of the garage door. Also, Inspect and clean the springs and tracks and adjust the sensitivity of the garage door opener. Many hire a professional for this maintenance, others follow the advice:
2. Ensure the balance of the garage door, verifying that it has an adequate balance, first closing the door, pulling the handle to do the manual operation. Then they raise the door about 3-4 feet off the ground, if it stays open it’s because the door is balanced. But if it is closed it is important to have the help of an expert to ensure its balance.
Lubricate rollers, bearings, and chains, on a regular basis to ensure that the moving parts of the garage door are maintained with silicone lubricants or special light oils for metal parts, with a drop on the motor of each roller as it lubricates when moving to the bearings. They lubricate the same as the hinges and springs so that they do not get stuck.
3. Visually inspect and clean the springs and tracks, also the rails and hardware of the garage doors, since it is a reliable way to prevent their wear and to detect any problems in time, especially in the springs, since their durability cannot be foreseen. When the springs have problems, they disconnect the opener and open the door manually. But it is recommended that garage owners enlist the collaboration of certified experts to garage door repair service or replace the springs, as they can be subjected to high tension, which can cause serious injury.
4. The rollers. For proper maintenance of the garage door, it is necessary to vacuum the tracks to remove the residues and prevent them from reaching the rollers. The rollers must be aligned so that they make adequate traction of the door wheels and avoid wear due to lack of cleaning or maintenance. When the tracks are not aligned it is necessary to loosen the screws on the brackets, to straighten the tracks and tighten them again.
5. Adjust the sensitivity of the opener, since with this procedure you can verify its closing force by placing a 2 × 4 under the door and then closing it, when the door bounces, it is possible that its sensitivity level is correct. But when the door is not bouncing, it is best to reduce its force with an adjustment opening system to suit the ideal operation.
6. Monthly maintenance. Homeowners who know the condition of their garage door can prevent problems in time, since they can verify all its elements, through monthly maintenance, they are concerned with guaranteeing a review of the system to prevent rust and dirt from being present. that generate wear or can brake parts and ruin their operation early.
7. Have the help of a technician. On the other hand, the specialists of the International Doors Association (IDA), recommend that when problems of deterioration of the components of the garage doors occur, it is important to have the technical service of experts to advance the repairs or replacements to the ones. where there is a place, in order to ensure that its useful life is greatly increased.
Why is Garage Door Maintenance Very Important?
Home protection is a very broad concept, where doors including the garage door are of great importance and it will be good if you will take help from home garage door repair experts. The protection and well-being of the family are great reasons to keep the garage door in perfect condition, a goal that is achieved by offering exclusive attention, understanding that it is an especially important point for home security.
Keeping the garage door functioning in an ideal state for the safety of the family allows everyone to arrive safely in their cars and enter the house without difficulties. It is a safe way to use garages, as they are designed so that people have access to their homes with the highest level of comfort and security.
Maintenance is the key for garage doors to fulfill their function, which is why door overhead door installation professionals ensure that when the recommended steps to keep parts lubricated and maintained cannot be followed, it is better to hire experienced technicians. to do their job and keep the garage door functionally safe.
When garage doors are prevented from rusting, deteriorating, or/and misadjusting, time and money are saved, since they have mechanisms that deserve preventive maintenance so that they work properly, otherwise, they can be damaged in a short time, which generates setbacks and loss of time and capital in emergency repairs or urgent changes.