SSL Certificate Cost: An Overview
By Space Coast Daily // January 27, 2023
SSL certificates are a critical component of modern internet security.
They are used to establish an encrypted connection between a web server and a client, ensuring that all data transmitted between the two parties is secure and protected from prying eyes.
While SSL certificates can provide a great deal of security, they do come with a cost. In this article, we will explore the various factors that can affect the cost of an SSL certificate and provide some tips for finding the best deal.
Types of SSL Certificates
One of the primary factors that can affect the cost of an SSL certificate is the type of certificate you choose. There are several different types of SSL certificates available, each with its own unique set of features and benefits. Some of the most common types of SSL certificates include:
- Domain Validation (DV) Certificates: These are the most basic and least expensive type of SSL certificate. They only verify that the applicant owns the domain for which the certificate is being issued.
- Organization Validation (OV) Certificates: OV certificates provide a higher level of security than DV certificates. In addition to verifying ownership of the domain, they also require the applicant to provide proof of their organization’s identity.
- Extended Validation (EV) Certificates: EV certificates offer the highest level of security available. In addition to verifying domain ownership and organization identity, they also require a thorough vetting process to ensure the applicant is a legitimate business.
- Wildcard Certificates: Wildcard certificates allow a single certificate to be used for multiple subdomains within a domain. They can be a cost-effective option for companies with multiple subdomains that need SSL protection.
- Multi-Domain Certificates: Also known as SAN (Subject Alternative Name) certificates, multi-domain certificates allow a single certificate to be used for multiple domains. This can be a convenient option for companies with multiple domains that need SSL protection.
Factors that Affect SSL Certificate Cost
In addition to the type of certificate you choose, there are several other factors that can affect ssl certificate cost. Some of the most significant factors include:
- Validity Period: SSL certificates are typically issued with a validity period of one to three years. The longer the validity period, the more expensive the certificate is likely to be.
- Warranty: Some SSL certificates come with a warranty that covers the cost of replacing the certificate in the event of a breach. These warranties can add to the overall cost of the certificate.
- Number of Domains: As mentioned above, multi-domain and wildcard certificates can be a cost-effective option for companies with multiple domains or subdomains that need SSL protection. The more domains or subdomains you need to secure, the more expensive the certificate is likely to be.