Melbourne PD Offers Safety Tips When Shopping On Craigslist
By Space Coast Daily // June 25, 2015
BREVARD COUNTY • MELBOURNE, FLORIDA – The Melbourne Police Department officers arrested a man this week for dealing in stolen property after he allegedly sold a small boat motor on Craigslist that the owners claimed was borrowed from them.
Officers were able to recover the item, but this case serves as a good reminder of the need to use caution when shopping from classified-ad type websites like Craigslist.
The Melbourne Police Department offers the following safety tips:
• If you’re selling, don’t photograph the item with your house easily identifiable in the background, especially if you’re selling high-value items.
• Never meet someone alone — bring a friend with you.
• Tell a friend or family member where you are going.
• Take your cell phone with you.
• Always arrange to meet in a well-lit public place. You are welcome to use the lobby of the Melbourne Police Department’s station at 650 N. Apollo Blvd., Melbourne, FL 32901.
• Do not have strangers come to your house, and do not go to a stranger’s house.
• Be suspicious if the buyer/seller refuses to meet at a public place or changes the agreed-upon meeting place.
• Don’t accept personal checks or money orders.
• Trust your instincts — If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
ABOVE MAP: Meetings for Craigslist deals are welcomed to use the lobby of the Melbourne Police Department’s station at 650 N. Apollo Blvd., Melbourne, FL 32901.